Grand Vitara issues to know before buying?

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
Hal
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Grand Vitara issues to know before buying?

Post by Hal » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:28 pm

Hi all,

I've had a two Suzukis (Swift 4x4 grey import and Ignis 4Grip)...so am not new to Suzukis, but am now looking to buy a Grand Vitara... I have to care for two elderly disabled people and need to ensure I'm fully mobile in case of a bad winter. Previously I had a Subaru and a L200 which saw me through.

I've seen a 2007 2.0 16v example with 90k on the clock. Just wondering how hardy the petrol engines are is 90k likely to be entering money-pit arena?
It looks good and has FSH, but hoping someone could advise on any common issues.

Many thanks!

maxaret
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Grand Vitara issues to know before buying?

Post by maxaret » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:33 am

As long as the engine sounds ok (ie mechanically fairly quiet ref clicks,ticks or knocks) they are fairly bullet proof.
Have a good look underneath for corrosion as they can suffer with rust.
Watch out for any rumbles/vibration from transmission.
You do not say if it is a 3 or 5 door - we have a 3 door and it is quite 'lively' on the road being a short wheelbase and with fairly high geared steering which takes a bit of getting used to,I would imagine a 5 door will be more stable/less 'lively'.
Make sure you select 4wd on road test and make sure the 4wd light comes on steady (ie not flashing),and that the car drives ok in 4wd - the 4wd is engaged by an electric air pump which supplies pressure to the front differential.I took a risk when we bought our 05 1.6 GV,it had a flashing 4wd light but it was 'just' the air pump which is easy to replace.New air pumps are expensive,I was lucky and got a good second hand pump !
Our GV has (selectable) ...
2wd (rear wheels only)
4wd H which is 4wd High Ratio.
4wd L which is low ratio for off road use only.

Anton
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:57 pm

You should never use 4wd on the road unless the vehicle has a centre diff that is unlocked. With a selectable 4wd, putting the vehicle in 4wd on the road can cause transmission windup and break things.

Does the new GV have a centre diff?
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

maxaret
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by maxaret » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:17 pm

Sorry should have made it clear just to select 4wd and make sure the car will move a short distance without any flashing lights and mechanical noises,I did not mean to suggest driving on road.The only time I would think about using 4wd on road would be if I was caught out in very snowy/slippery conditions.