new here

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
cam01
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

new here

Post by cam01 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:44 pm

hi, new here so please be gentle ! lol, i am the owner of 2 ignis cars, a 52 and 06 plate, i'm not having a lot of luck with them as they both get quite hot quite quickly with the 06 is using about a gallon of water every couple of days, blowing lots out through expansion bottle and turning the rest to foam in the cooling system !, the older one isn't losing much coolant and isn't foaming, but does cut out when too hot ! anyone reading this with any clues how to fix them ?, all advice welcome !
p.s. would components like the gearbox be interchangeable ???, 52plate has a noisy gearbox, 06 has dodgy engine !, could I put good gearbox with the better engine ???, again, any advice welcome !

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Re: new here

Post by timwilks13 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:40 am

Have you tried a rad flush on the one thats blowing water out through the expansion tank? Sounds like you might have a blockage somewhere.

Even the older one sounds like water isn't getting round the engine if its getting too hot. Be worth checking the thermostat if they have one to make sure its not stuck closed or something.
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

cam01
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: new here

Post by cam01 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:37 pm

thanks for reply !, yes, I have flushed the cooling system in both of them ! older one has used 3 thermostats in last 3 years, the newer on was getting really really quickly and cutting out as well when hot, I took a seized thermostat out of newer and left it out and it takes longer to heat up, but when it does get warm it blowing coolant out !, the foam that's produced has an odd smell to it despite clean water going in, I upended a bottle of clean water in to rad and the water exchanged itself for half a bottle of foam which cooled back to liquid it also had an odd colour !