MOT fixes

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
J9V6
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

MOT fixes

Post by J9V6 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:58 pm

So my SJ410 has failed it’s MOT 🙁

It needs new brake hoses - ok no problem.

It also needs the knuckle joints repairing or replacing at the front. Apparently they’re oozing too much stuff and there’s grease and gloop everywhere. I’ve been looking around to see what I need to get, but am still not quite sure.

Also the steerings got quite a bit of play before it takes up. Not sure what that is but looking for any pointers.

1984 SJ410v 1.0

If anyone can make any recommendations or has fixed the same problems on their SJ410 I’d be pleased to hear from you.

Cheers,
Al.

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Re: MOT fixes

Post by timwilks13 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:24 am

Can't help with the CV joints, might be able to replace the seal on them or might need replacing whole, amazed thats an MOT fail to be honest.

With the steering try and get someone to turn the wheel whilst you look at all the components to see where the play is. Could be the rag joint that joins the steering column to the steering box, could be the rubber bushes on the steering arm, alternatively the 410 steering boxes have an adjustmet screw on them, hold the bolt with a screwdriver and loosen the locking nut and tighten the bolt a bit, might take out some of the play.
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

andyrew
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by andyrew » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:03 am

Knuckles /swivels leaking will be the half shaft oil seal.

Seal dimensions are avalible on here under the axle info thread. It's fairly small and requires the hub and swivel housings to come off.

And easy enough job to do just mucky.

What's your tinkering level?
Andys Rusty Suzuki Emporium

J9V6
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by J9V6 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:14 pm

Thanks for the tips. My tinkering level is not that high. Happy to play with the electrics, change brakes, hoses etc, door locks seats an re-trimming etc... not really dabbled with the larger scale bits like pulling the steering apart though.

While I’m here, I’ve been going over the electrics of the SJ410 to make sure everything’s present, correct and working. I’ve found I’ve got an intermittent side light (the one in the headlamp) on the near side. It seems the bulb holder is just too old so the connection is intermittent. Does anyone know where I can buy these parts? There’s no part no on it- presumable an original Suzuki part from the 80’s

Attachments
A3497C9C-06A0-4885-BAF7-3C7683C219FA.jpeg

J9V6
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by J9V6 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:17 pm

Think I’ve sourced the side light fittings for the headlamps. Found these on eBay after quite some searching - they look right so will see when they arrive if they fit.

BA9s Type Bulb Holder Dual Spade Terminals

Complete with Lucas Bulb OEM Reference LU 54573590, 554710, 170136

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283767013795

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:29 pm

Those look correct.

Not a stock SJ part though, normally the side lights are down in the bumper and there's no sidelights in the headlight bowls. It's had aftermarket headlight bowls fitted.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

J9V6
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by J9V6 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:12 pm

That makes sense - after market headlamps (maybe from a mini at a guess) - I’ve got side lights in the bumpers too. Always thought it was a bit weird having two sets. The headlamps are the ones it came with so must’ve been changed some way along the line. Anyway, that’s another mystery solved!