Jimny diff query

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
duncscrim
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Jimny diff query

Post by duncscrim » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:31 pm

Hi. I have a query maybe someone on here may be able to help with. I bought an 05 Jimny 1.3 vvt recently. I originally thought it had a dodgy rear wheel bearing and replaced them both accordingly. Unfortunately, after 2 new rear wheel bearings, oil seals, oil, brake pistons, ABS rings and brake pipe I have discovered that the rear diff itself is gubbed. As upon reassembly with all the above new components there still was a nasty grinding scrapy sound from the diff. I had heard that there are inner bearings also, and that these were probably gubbed. I had also heard that its easier to replace the diff than to change said bearings. So, I ordered a replacement rear diff/axle assembly from local breakers. Unfortunately, having received the replacement axle/diff I noticed that it has no ABS. So my new plan, as opposed to changing the whole axle,diff and halfshafts, is to exchange the two diff units. I intend to remove the driveshafts, open diff casings and simply swap one diff for the other. Does anyone know if the fact that the new donor diff is from a non ABS model matter? As far as I can see it looks exactly the same, but don't want to break open replacement axle and go through all the labour to discover that it won't fit. If anyone has any advise it well be much appreciated indeed. Cheers.

RichyP
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Jimny diff query

Post by RichyP » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:58 am

Post a thread in the Jimmy section pal probably someone who could help you. Welcome to the forum 👍

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by ROBBIE » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:16 pm

Mark the crown wheel and count how many turns of the input it takes to do one full revolution of the crown wheel, can also count teeth on the crown
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:26 pm

All rear jimny diffs are the same size so it will physically fit but you need to check the diff ratio matches the one you are taking out otherwise you'll end up with mismatched diff ratios and won't be able to use 4wd.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:19 am

The facts its from a none ABS model doesn’t matter as long as its the right ratio its a straight swap.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank