Decisions - Vitara / Sportage / Tucson - Family Car

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
caicops4
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Decisions - Vitara / Sportage / Tucson - Family Car

Post by caicops4 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:12 am

Hi guys.

I'm looking to change my car and stucked between Suzuki Vitara, Kia Sportage and Hyundai Tucson. I'm looking to buy 3 year old car with sat nav, rear camera and simillar features. I'm looking for family car - 2 adults and 2 toddlers - not everyday travel to work (8 mins drive) as I cycle quite often and weekend family trips with bikes, bike trailer and some bags or caravan/tent trip around UK (mostly in Scotland). Most important factors for me will be fuel economy, storage space (definately I will buy roof box as well), features like sat nav etc, comfortability and suspension (don't like hard cars). My budget is around £12k, max £13k.

Had test drive last Saturday at local dealer and drove all three models and now I'm more confused than before.

Suzuki is fun to drive, has really good brakes, almost no blind spots, Kuro version looks stunning, love engine sound, features, price and fuel economy in theory. Price is better as well. Bad points is smaller boot compared to other two cars, slightly harder suspension, no armrest, 3year warranty.

Kia - had the best suspension by far from all models, my mechanic recommend Sportage from all 3 models, good boot space, 7 years warrranty. Did not fell in love when driving except of driving on holes - was really soft drive. Expesive price is downside compared to Suzuki.

Tucson - very simillar to Kia, slightly worse suspension but better drive fun than Kia. Best boot in my opinion, 5 years warranty I think. I watch youtube reviews and fuel economy will be worst from all tested models.

What's your conclusions guys. Do you think 3 year old Suzuki Vitara Kuro or SZ-5, up to 20k miles will meets my criteria as a family car for me, my wife and 2 toddlers. Will be cheap to run, comfortable for everyday use and family weekend trips? I heard 3 year warranty can be extended if car will be service at Suzuki every 6 months. Is it worth it, how much cost standard service (I've seen 3 year service care plan, but couln't find price).

I will be very thankful for all constructive comments, reviews and tips.

Larry
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Decisions - Vitara / Sportage / Tucson - Family Car

Post by Larry » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:23 pm

We have a 9 month old and two small dogs. For us boot space is the first thing we look at in a car. We had a yeti (similar size to Vitara) but moved to an Octavia estate for the much better boot and a little more room in the rear. Although, we do miss the height of the yeti. The higher rear seats definitely make getting kids in and out easier.

I think the cars you are looking at all sound like good tools for the job. Fuels costs are not something I worry about massively, assuming they are all in the same ball park. Varying levels of depreciation could actually contribute more to the overall running cost over the course of a few years. But that's hard to estimate too!

I don't know anything about the warranties or service plans, I'm afraid.

If you're considering a caravan, the mass and power of the car should be considered too!

maxaret
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by maxaret » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:33 pm

The Kia and Hyundai will be the same engine/gbox and basic car platform just with some different body panels and interior trim/design etc.
We have a 2008 Sportage 2.0 crdi and if I cannot find a specific kia part - the corresponding Hyundai Tucson model has exactly the same part number for all the basic mechanical components/systems.
The old Kia 2.0 crdi diesel engine is great for towing,even ours with an auto box,we also have a 2005 Grand Vitara as well so I have a foot in both camps.
It might be worth asking for opinions on the kia owners forum (if you have not already done so) as I know nothing about the modern kia cars)

https://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forums/

donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by donkeychomp » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:03 pm

One thing no one mentions. The name 'Suzuki'. Resale time you'll get a hell of a lot more for a Vitara than a Kia or Hyundai. Even without that factor it is a bit of a no brainer. Would you really want a Kia parked on your drive. Would you want a Hyundai parked anywhere near your house? :hahaha:
If it ticks over...leave it