Hola, as they say here in the colonies

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
ChileBob
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: Hola, as they say here in the colonies

Post by ChileBob » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:20 pm

Done, with 'help' from my 2 year old grandson who was returned to his mum properly grubby & greasy.

Start'em young, that's the way.
new_hub.jpeg
Not Aisin hubs but they'll do for now.

Got the steering aligned, so far out of whack I doubt it'd ever been done - now it drives very nicely & not like a shopping trolley.

ChileBob
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by ChileBob » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:14 pm

Its possible I was having just a little bit too much fun... busted a rear spring.
busted spring.jpeg
busted spring.jpeg (14.11 KiB) Viewed 6030 times
Perfect time to upgrade things, presumably its best to replace springs as a pair ?

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:35 pm

Can’t have too much fun with them.

I’d always do them in pairs other wise the old spring will sit lower.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ChileBob
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by ChileBob » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:57 am

The perils of ordering stuff when there's a language barrier.....replacement springs were not quite the same, almost, but not quite.

One of the looped ends was 44mm diameter instead of 30mm, which means the rubber bushes wont fit, arrgh.

I have a ride from home back to the middle of nowhere tomorrow so I can replace springs & recover the car, as a 'get me home' measure I'm 3D printing a couple of adapter sleeves. Never a dull moment here in the colonies.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:09 am

It’s been a few years since i did springs, i’m sure the eyes are different sizes.

Bigger diameter bush for the chassis mount, smaller for the shackle.

I have some on the garage floor i can measure.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ChileBob
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by ChileBob » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:06 am

The chassis ends take 44mm bushes, or at least that's what the springs they made for me have.

3D printed adapters for shackle-end rubbers worked well enough to get me home (200km), now I'm back in Santiago I can find the proper parts. I'll also replace the lower leaf on the new stacks for the old 'overload leaf' - I have a history of abusing vehicles & its just a matter of time before I ask too much of it.

I was skeptical on the Samurai but have to admit its the most fun I've had with my clothes on in ages, tough little things & they really do go anywhere.

ChileBob
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by ChileBob » Sun May 01, 2022 3:55 pm

Warn M5000 winch - apparently when it was stolen off the car it didn't get far, too heavy to run away with, so I got it back.

Terminal posts busted off the motor & some cable damage, nothing too hard to fix & plenty of starter motor repair shops to do that.

The extra weight on the front end is a bit much.

miladenaa
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by miladenaa » Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:50 pm

So here's one thing that's clearly not in the Chilean MoT - play in the steering. download apk

teatv
Last edited by miladenaa on Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChileBob
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by ChileBob » Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:56 pm

Yeah, they check that, not sure how much play they allow but its probably way too much.

That reminds me, I need to find a rebuild kit for the steering box - its at the end of adjustment so needs to be fixed/replaced at some point.