Help to restore my LJ80 2 Q

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
jzekjeep
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Help to restore my LJ80 2 Q

Post by jzekjeep » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:35 pm

Hello
My wife has owned "Jeepy" for a long time - and had great fun driving it. Sadly stuck, unused in a garage for the last ten years. We now have time to get Jeepy back on the road but don't have the knowledge or the parts to do so. The front drum brakes have rusted absolutely solid - tried everything but they won't budge. No doubt there will be many other challenges to come.
So we are reaching out to the club members asking if there is anyone out there who would undertake a restoration project for us. The body work is in good condition but the mechanics would need a proper going over as well as changing hoses, belts, flushing the carb etc . . . ?
We have a budget (not unlimited) for the work - and hope someone could help us.
Many thanks in anticipation and hoping to hear
All best
elly and johan

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: Help to restore my LJ80 2 Q

Post by Jordi » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:18 am

Hi, sounds like a good little project.

Nothing I am remotely interested in doing though sadly.

Might be worth adding a rough location to your post so people know where you are or if you a prepared to have it transported somewhere.

They are fairly easy to work on yourself. Many parts are still available on ebay.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by ROBBIE » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:28 pm

Hello, I’m in the process of fixing an LJ myself. They are so easy to work on, most parts can be purchased from India via eBay or occasionally on here. Any problems there is always someone which all the knowledge on here as well
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

jzekjeep
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by jzekjeep » Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:50 pm

Hello Jordi and ROBBIE
Many thanks for your swift responses!
1, Do you know of anyone in the club who would have time and interest to help me restore Jeepy? I have a budget for this but not enough engineering knowledge to do this on my own.
2, My current problem is that the anus will not roll. The front brakes are totally rusted to the brake shoes - no amount of hitting the wheel rim and the brake drum has had any effect. The wheels are still stuck solid I have just ordered a brake drum puller from Amazon - but am not sure this will shift them either. Any tips? I have been looking for complete front brake assemblies on the web - but no luck so far. Any sites you can recommend apart from ebay?
Thanks and all best
Johan

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:16 pm

Depending on how long its been sat and the condition when parked up it could be seized bearings or seized diff stopping it rolling.

I don’t know of any member who would be prepared to take it on as a restoration but if you add your rough location some members may be prepared to give a couple of hours time here and there to help out.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

jzekjeep
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by jzekjeep » Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:22 am

Hello Jordi
I have some good news! I bought a drum brake puller from Amazon (£35) and have succeeded in pulling the front brake drums off. I have removed the rusted brake shoes and linings and the anus now rolls! so bearings appear fine. I now need to buy new brake shoes and brake cylinders. I have seen
front wheels set (4 shoes and 4 cylinders) on ebay from Australia at approx £100 + shipping. Does this seem a reasonable price to you? Any other more local suppliers you could suggest?
The anus will be located in London once I get it moving out of its current barn.
Thanks so much for your help with this
All best
Johan