New Member so saying Hi

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
Darby
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

New Member so saying Hi

Post by Darby » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:02 pm

So Iv had a SJ410 Santana for about 2 years and now getting round to working on, i want to be able to use it for both off roading and as a run about on the road, I do have a quick question, sorry if its in the wrong section, I have been talking to people and alot of them have said that standard SJ axles would not be man enough for what I want to do, so just need abit of advice on what axles can be fitted without much fabricating and also what wheels would people suggest.

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here

Re: New Member so saying Hi

Post by dan_2k_uk » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:06 pm

What the hell are you planning on doing in your run about that standard axles won't stand up to?

Standard axles are good for up to 31s if driven will a little respect. You can even get away with 33s if you don't go hard on it.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:45 pm

As Dan says up to 31s is fine. 33s if your not a fool, and trusses and upgraded shafts are easily sourced anyway.

So what is your plan?
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Darby
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Darby » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:09 pm

Thanks very much for the help, im not planning on doing anything crazy just want it as a run around and to have abit of fun off road, so thanks again, thanks about the trusses and upgraded shafts jordi.
Im just wanting to raise the bady abit and put over axle springs on and move the fuel tank into the back to give abit more space, im sure il think of more bits on the way, like I said this is all new to me so any tips and advice is more than welcome.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:04 pm

Welcome to :suzuki: clubUK

A simple 2" or 3" spring lift staying spua and some mild trimming, 31" tyres, a rocklobster tbox and a tank guard rather than moving the tank and you'll have a fun, capable and good handling Sj on road.

Have a look at the builds on here, not many of us are spoa, in fact hardly any of us.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

windsor
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by windsor » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:34 pm

hello
spoa is for fools who want unstable nasty to drive on the road sj
stay spring under 2inch lift
choped arches
31s
410 tbox or rocklobster
tank guard
jobs a good en
start putting landys t shame
1994 sj 413 sierra
cheker plate door cards
cd players
asin free wheeling hubs
99% rust free
alloys
bukets
some leaks here and there

Darby
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Darby » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:19 pm

Hello everyone, just got a quick question my SJ has only got a small 970cc engine in and I was thinking of putting something abit bigger in but not sure what would be a good idea,i have been told 1.9 diesel from a Peugeot would fit with an ldv van gearbox which im guessing would bolt onto the SJ transfer box with out any problem ,what are peoples thoughts on this. Many thanks.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:24 pm

Easiest upgrade is to a 1.6 8v vitara engine. More than man enough for 33s with right gearing.

Can go 16v if you fancy the wiring. Vit lumps be pickup pretty cheap. You need some 413 parts too. Gearbox, flywheel, skinny starter. Easy to fit power steering too with the vit lumps.

Diesels are big heavy lumps.
Last edited by Jordi on Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

turbo-tom

Post by turbo-tom » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:28 pm

welcome i had a 1.9tdi diesel engine in my zuk , i abused it , ragged it , liked it, killed it then forgot about it.

Since that ive put the 1.6 8v petrol engine in and ive loved it and still abuse it and rag it and i still cant seam to kill it! there a tough little engine! :D
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

Darby
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Darby » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:57 pm

right ok thanks for the advice sounds like a 1.6 8v vitara engine is the right thing for the job, so this is a good engine for the SJ gearbox and transfer box or would I need to change them as well? really sorry for all the questions.