VIDEO Parkwood 4x4 (Tong) 9th Nov 2014

A place to post all your pictures and videos or links to any you've found on the tinterweb that you think people will enjoy.
only one rule, no nakedness but make it as dirty as you like! (In the muddy kind of way)
Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

VIDEO Parkwood 4x4 (Tong) 9th Nov 2014

Post by Ladaman » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:40 am

Well we did have a good day, until I broke it AGAIN!!

Yes, another rear drive shaft snapped. (Upgrade now ordered, so lets hope that resolves it).

I've left the final couple of minutes as it happened, and the conversation over what is wrong. Would you expect a shaft to snap? I know I was surprised.

Just a little bad language I'm afraid, but in the situation I thought I played it quite calm. I was really gutted inside I can tell you.

A bit longer than normal, but I find it hard to throw so much away. A bit like in my garage! :lol:

http://youtu.be/rxnzgq6BmW0

Click Here for Youtube Video

YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

Anton
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Re: VIDEO Parkwood 4x4 (Tong) 9th Nov 2014

Post by Anton » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:39 am

That really is a strange place to lose a shaft - it doesn't look grippy enough to kill anything. Just goes to show, you can't take things for granted. Was it the halfshaft or the prop that broke?
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Re: VIDEO Parkwood 4x4 (Tong) 9th Nov 2014

Post by Ladaman » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:07 am

Anton wrote:That really is a strange place to lose a shaft - it doesn't look grippy enough to kill anything. Just goes to show, you can't take things for granted. Was it the halfshaft or the prop that broke?
It wasn't grippy, and it's quite a tough hole to exit, but I've done it previously.

Maybe due to spinning the front wheel, when that hits the ground the inertia has to go somewhere in the system. All other wheels grounded, so the weakest link breaks. The front and rear props are Toyota, so pretty big. The weak link seems to be the half shaft, and that's THREE I've snapped this year.

Rob Storr full float kit now ordered ;)
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage