I don't think this is supossed to happen!

A place to post all your pictures and videos or links to any you've found on the tinterweb that you think people will enjoy.
only one rule, no nakedness but make it as dirty as you like! (In the muddy kind of way)
ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

I don't think this is supossed to happen!

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:14 pm

was out on salisbury plain yesterday when this happened :shock: the half shaft decided to seperate itself from the bearing and locking collar! you can guess what happened!

anyone else ever had this happen? i'm gonna find it hard to trust those locking collars from now on!
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Simon
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: I don't think this is supossed to happen!

Post by Simon » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:14 pm

Yeah once you have put the new bearing and collar on, put some PU7 around the end of the collar to glue it on

a bit of PU7 makes all the difference, it will help stop the collar from coming off

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:08 pm

Cool i'll try that! funny how they're called locking collars and they don't seem to lock very well :lol:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by dan_2k_uk » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:40 pm

ha ha ha ha. How the eff did u do that? More to the point how did u get it home?
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:12 pm

well i tried to get the bearing and collar out of the axle to put it all back together but it didn't want to cooperate so i ended up just hammering the shaft back into the axle, it was pretty much just the tightness on the bearing holding it in :shock: then i just hoped that it would get me home, it was a very slow 30MPH, 25 mile drive but the shaft actually stayed in all the way! in fact the bearing was still solidly on the shaft when i got home and stripped it all back down again!
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

baRoN
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by baRoN » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:52 pm

That looks an inconvenient place for your axle to disassemble itself. Good that you had a hydraulic jack with you, but it looks like that farm (hi-lift) jack is left with its handle in gonad popping mode! :zap: With the handle left back the weight of the vehicle can push the jack back down, cranking the handle up and down with bone cracking organ rupturing ferocity.
That sort of mid-mud vehicle disintegration makes breaking down by side of the road in the rain seem like luxury. Well done for making it home at all... even at 30mph.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:01 pm

yeah luckily my mate had a trolley jack on him! I was only using the hi lift to get the trolley jack under the axle as its a bit safer on a trolley jack :lol:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:01 am

but it looks like that farm (hi-lift) jack is left with its handle in gonad popping mode! With the handle left back the weight of the vehicle can push the jack back down, cranking the handle up and down with bone cracking organ rupturing ferocity.

ha i know what you mean, mine has done that a few times, and with a bits4vits handle holder it acts as a perfect cushion for the handle at the top of the stroke,

Luke

urbanzook
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by urbanzook » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:06 pm

my driver side rear wheel started making a funny clicking sound the other day, and after seein this happen to you.
i stopped driving an had a look there was 4 or 5 stones in the tread so i flicked them out with a screw driver an jumped back in an started to drive. it was still there so i stopped again and got out scratched me head an gave the wheel a good wiggle to see if it was loose or something. to my horror it squeaked an clicked, thinking my 4/5 month old bearings were shot i drove home very slowly waching my wheel thinking it was going to come off an ova take me with the shaft still on it.
got home jacked it up an stripped it down every thing was ok could not find any thing wrong till i went to put the wheel back on an there was 3 small stones on the inside of my centre cap where they came from i dont no but i have a very helpful little girl so maybe there's my answer. any way all back together an fine no noises.
just wanted to share
DONT FOLLOW ME YOU WONT MAKE IT !!!
SEE WOT I GET UP TO CLICK ME!!!!