Cannot change tyres

All tech relating to the Suzuki Vitara that won't relate to any other models, Front IFS etc.
Robert Brown
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Cannot change tyres

Post by Robert Brown » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:29 am

Hi, I have a Suzuki Grand Vitara 5 door petrol model from 2004. I had an MOT and the front left tyre is worn to near the legal limit. I took it to the Suzuki dealer to get a new tyre fitted. However, they could not do this as they could not remove the wheel to change the tyre.

They told me that the wheels are not the original ones. To take them off a 'wheel socket spline key' is needed that fits them exactly. Which I do not have, neither does the Suzuki dealer and they could not source one.

The tyres are Bridgestone 235/60/R16. I attach pictures of the wheel The wheel sockets have around 10-11 grooves in them which is presumably the number of splines needed-they are quite difficult to count.

I would buy the tool needed but don't know how to find out the exact size needed etc. Does anyone have these type of tyres/wheels who can advise me how to change the tyres? Thanks in advance.
Attachments
wheel1.jpg
wheel2.jpg
wheel3.jpg

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Re: Cannot change tyres

Post by timwilks13 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:18 pm

Use some verniers and measure the internal diameter between the grooves, then you should be able to get something like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-X-TUNER-BO ... SwH1pcDEqx

Or just go to any decent tyre centre, they usually have the tools to remove lug nuts with lost keys.
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

dominic
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by dominic » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:45 pm

Hiya ,
You didn't get the locking nut when you got the motor ?
Look on Ebay for locking wheel nut removal tool.
or as above post , any decent tyre place would and should have tools to remove locking nuts.
Currently Drive
SJ 410 Q 1985 (GREEN)
VITARA GL+ 2017 (SILVER)

Did have a IGNIS SZ5 4X4 2017 (BLACK)
Did have a GRAND VITARA 2.0 TD 2002 (GREEN)
Did have a JIMNY JLX 2001 (RED)
Did have a SJ 413V 1987 (SILVER)
Did have a BMW320i 1984 (PETROL BLUE)

Robert Brown
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Robert Brown » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:34 am

There are 10 grooves so I must need a 10 spline key, the internal diameter is around 12 mm-it is hard to measure exactly.

Anton
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:34 am

You could buy or borrow a set of vernier calipers (also known as vernier scale or vernier gauge). Then you can measure the exact dimensions.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map