Battery problem

All tech relating to the Suzuki Vitara that won't relate to any other models, Front IFS etc.
spongebob
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Battery problem

Post by spongebob » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:28 pm

Hi folks, first time posting here. I have a 94 16 spi vitara 3 door. For ages I've been getting through a battery around every 12 months. I suspected battery drain so finally got it checked by a qualified auto electician. He went through the system and said there wasn't any drain and all was well with It and showed drain at 0.1 amp. The battery was brand new and I fitted it the day he came. It was showing 12.7 volts. The next morning I checked the voltage and it was down to 12.3 volts. Someone tell me I'm not going mad because that can't be right. Any one got any thoughts as it's driving me mad. Leave the car for 5 day's and it wont start. :argh:

donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Battery problem

Post by donkeychomp » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:25 pm

It sounds to me as if something is still being left on when you turn the Vit off. Like an interior light or something.
If it ticks over...leave it

mk1joe
Winching along now
Winching along now

Re: Battery problem

Post by mk1joe » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:57 am

0.1amps is still a bit high of a current draw than what I would like. I've always been told that around 0.03 is an acceptable level.

I would recommend doing the drain check yourself as it's quite easy. Just hook up an ammeter in line with your battery while all the systems are turned off, and it should read 0.1 amps. Then go to your fuse box and pull one fuse at a time (replacing the previous fuse before going to the next one). When you pull a fuse and see that 0.1 amp drop down, then you know your problem lies within the circuit that that fuse belongs to.

Hope that makes sense, hope it helps.