Getting my LJ80Q back on the road - help please!

A place for all UK LJ owners to introduce themselves and for all LJ series tech and builds
jzekjeep
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Getting my LJ80Q back on the road - help please!

Post by jzekjeep » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:35 pm

Hello
We have a red LJ80Q registered in 1981, owned by my wife since 1983. It has been standing in a garage for the last 25 years. The body and interior are both in very good condition. However, all 4 wheels have rusted solid - ie they don't turn, at all. I have towed the anus for 10 yards inside the garage but the wheels have not budged. I have not tried hitting the brake drums with a sledge hammer - but I have been told this is an effective approach!? In your experience is it likely to be rusted drums or could the drivetrain have set solid?

I am also concerned about just putting in a new battery fill up with petrol and turn the key. I imagine the timing belt will be in poor condition.
I'd be very grateful for any thoughts on what I need to do to get the anus back on the road. It is stored in the Lincoln area. If you know of a garage or mechanic in Lincolnshire who knows about LJ80s please let me know.

Many thanks in anticipation
All the best
Johan

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Getting my LJ80Q back on the road - help please!

Post by ROBBIE » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:16 pm

Hi :welcome: I'm also in the proscess of getting a 1981 LJ back on the road, so good job hope all goes well.
I would take a wheel off and tap round the drum with a hammer, try to turn ect. I wouldn't use a sledge, you could do a lot of damage to the drums. Also is the hand brake cable lose when you let it off?
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:46 pm

Most likely that the brakes are stuck on, I would try to get the drums off to service the breaks, don't use a sledge hammer but a copper or other soft hammer would probably be ok and not cause any damage.

Have you jacked it up to try each wheel individually?
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

SherwoodNash
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by SherwoodNash » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:41 pm

:welcome:

I found this guy thru a Yellow Pages search, might be worth a call even if only to get a name of someone he might know about?

Mark Cutler - Suzuki Technician
Tel - 01522 52511
Mob - 07833 741804
10 Tentercroft St, Lincoln LN5 7DB & Unit 10, Lincoln Central Industrial Park, Lincoln, Lincolnshire, LN5 7ED

http://www.markcutler.co.uk/

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:01 pm

Wheels off service the brakes. Its unlikely for any of the drive train to have seized as it should be full of oil. Clutch may have seized but as long as the gear box is in neutral and the engine turns by hand this isn't an issue to start with.

My general starting process for engines sat for a while is.

If it has not been started in a while change the cambelt as a precaution and squirt a bit of engine oil in each cylinder. Turn the engine over by hand to ensure it is not seized and moves freely. Once you have done this a few times double check it has enough oil in it. Always worth changing the oil while cold, bearing in mind there will be a lot of residue left in it would need changing again before proper use.

New battery and fuel with the spark plugs removed turn it over on the starter in short burst a couple of times, 5 seconds ish to get the oil round. presuming it turns over and there are no electrical issues have an inspections for fuel or oil leaks.

As long as there is nothing glaringly obviously wrong turn it over again. Still with the plugs out until the oil light goes out, this tells us we have oil pressure and the oil pump is working.

New plugs in and see if it fires up.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

SherwoodNash
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by SherwoodNash » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:27 pm

Jordi wrote:
......New plugs in and see if it fires up.
We need a video of that :doublethumbs:

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:34 pm

It'll fire up, Its an F series :rockin:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

jzekjeep
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by jzekjeep » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:44 pm

Hello guys
I am overwhelmed by all the great hints and tips. Many thanks for taking the time to write. I will follow your advice and will let you know how it goes. Unfortunately unlikely to happen before X-mas with much going on.
Thanks also for the name of the Suzuki engineer in Lincoln - I will definitely speak to him!
All the best
Johan