LJ80 Build

A place for all UK LJ owners to introduce themselves and for all LJ series tech and builds
Simon
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: LJ80 Build

Post by Simon » Wed May 20, 2009 11:32 pm

hugh42 wrote:Yes,it's going again now after 3 pages of ~MOT fails..................... :twisted: Got a new front hub from Ray by Brighton, new master cylinder, redid the burst brake hoses and put in new lines while I was doing it. Its had new tyres and rear lights (full of mud and mank). Repositioned and fixed the power steering pump so it works (what a difference), new track rod (bent) , new ujs (knackered), rebuilt propshaft handbrake (stressed and messed), new hood (leaky), destickered and still haven't fixed the sump(lazy). Apart from that and new multi sound system, it's as you knew it. I need to ask Mac some questions about the rear diff before I rebuild it. Can you get Raging Rhino window stickers any more?
Hugh
sounds like you have been bizzy

yeah youcan still get the Raging Rhinos window stickers but there £20 now which helps support the club

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Thu May 21, 2009 12:38 pm

wow, great work,when you look at a well sorted motor you don't really appriciate how much effort has gone into it, but with this work log it shows how many hours you've sunk into this project,
how much did you widen the body by? did you do the same to the chassis too? to be honest it looks a little bit hummer esk now flat and low if you get my drift, will you be adjusting the original grill to make it fit now or are you going to leave it off? fiannaly i think you've forgot to drill the hole for the fairlead on the bumper :oops: i dont want you to ess the paint work up when you 'slot' it
Luke

Simon
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Simon » Thu May 21, 2009 2:14 pm

Tramp wrote:wow, great work,when you look at a well sorted motor you don't really appriciate how much effort has gone into it, but with this work log it shows how many hours you've sunk into this project,
how much did you widen the body by? did you do the same to the chassis too? to be honest it looks a little bit hummer esk now flat and low if you get my drift, will you be adjusting the original grill to make it fit now or are you going to leave it off? fiannaly i think you've forgot to drill the hole for the fairlead on the bumper :oops: i dont want you to ess the paint work up when you 'slot' it
Luke
Thanks mate, its been a long time in the making its come out really nice

We made the body 8" wider, the chassis is still standard we didn't need to change it 8-)

I've not had the time to start on the plastic grill yet but i will be making it wider so i can refit it to the LJ.

Here's the full spec of the LJ

General Stuff

2" Body lift

Mitsubishi Power steering box and the Vitara pump

Vitara v6 wiring loom has been installed and modified to use all the standard LJ80 controls and clocks. This gives a standard look but has all the bonuses of a modern ECU and wiring loom.

SJ413 injection fuel tank with a modified Vitara v6 fuel pump

33x15.50x15 Super Swamper TSL SX on 10x15 Alloy wheels

12000lb Winch with Synthetic rope – To be fitted

All the brake lines have been replaced with Goodridge braided brake pipe

Engine / Transmission

2L 24v v6 Vitara Engine

Vitara v6 Gearbox

SJ413 Transfer box

Front SJ413 axle with front Vitara v6 diff

Rear Vitara axle and the v6 diff with and LSD, the axle casing has been cut down to match the offset of the front diff

Suspension

On the Front

Spring Over
SJ413 Leaf springs
Shackle Reverse
Procomp ES3000 shocks

On the Rear

Vitara rear coil setup with extended trailing arms
Procomp ES3000 shocks

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu May 21, 2009 5:54 pm

Cheers for that Simon

where do you get your tyres from? Is it La Supertrux? as they seem to be a lot more expensivethan devon 4x4 however devon 4x4 don't seem to stock as many of the interco tyres.

I also noticed for mickey thompson baja claw radials supertrux sell them at £395.60 each and devon 4x4 do them for £146.63 for the 33x12.50s :shock: :shock: :shock: Erm surely that can't be right!

Cheers

Scott
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Simon
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Simon » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:00 am

Hey guys, iv not been on here for ages so i thought i should update my post, I've finished the front grill and there a few pic's from are trip to Marcanterre ;D

Simon
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Simon » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:05 am

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:17 pm

wow, some great photo's there, It looks really well now the grill is done, im so jelous i'd love a Lj of my own, 50 or 80 im not picky!!!

that lj in green, wow, canvas doors, how novelty Although i bet its cold in winter,

Looks like you had a great time, Was it worth all the hard work?

Luke

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:37 pm

I was looking at these pics on raging rhinos the other day! i think i will have to join you guys next time you go to france it looks awesome! I do have to ask, what happened to the back door then??
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Simon
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Simon » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:35 pm

We take the doors off because its so hot over there 8-)

You would like hesdin mate, thats a great weekend

liljitjit
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by liljitjit » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:51 pm

wow what a truck! and some of the others in photos arnt to shabby neither!. right enough ass kissing , question for you where did you get your front and rear glass made and were they dear?

Rich
[/color]before you laugh at mine , take a look at your own![/color]