my new toy

A place for all UK LJ owners to introduce themselves and for all LJ series tech and builds
ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: my new toy

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:21 am

Send bray on here a message, he has two NOS bare doors if you have no luck repairing the damaged door.

Looking forward to the pics.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

0611john
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by 0611john » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:40 am

Well,

Slow and steady wins the race they say and I've been nothing if not slow with this project!

Bit of an update and then a plea for help and advice I'm afraid!

A few weeks ago I started swapping the SPOA conversion back round, the car was just too high for my liking and looks daft with such a big empty space under the arches, I've also chopped most of the crappy roll cage the previous owner had put together.

Managed to get one axle done and re-bushed before rain halted play. Tried to start it up to put it back in the garage but it just wouldn't start. quickly drained the battery and then hooked it to my Peugeot 206 which it also nearly drained but just wouldn't start.

I put it back in the garage, cursed it and locked up in a very bad mood. Pic attached showing it sitting at a strange angle after the conversion back.

Yesterday I had a go at solving the starting issue. turns out the fuel pump is goosed but the carb was also full of crud, whipped it off and gave it a good clean, set up a quick gravity feed and it fired up almost straight away! Happy days!

So, my query! The car has two different axles, an LJ one on the back (centre diff) and some sort of SJ axles at the front (off set diff). The front axle is driven by two front wheel drive, drive shafts welded together, not ideal!I think they have got over the different ratios by fitting free wheeling hubs to the front which might help get rid of the extra drive that one axle will have (hope that makes sense)

So, how hard would it be to put SJ axles on the front and back? would they fit to the transfer box easily enough? I work for an engineering company so some custom parts are possible to help things fit and i would expect to have to modify lengths of props and things but is it possible? the only other alternative i can see is to try and find an LJ front axle with internals which will be next to impossible!

Any suggestions chaps?
Attachments
start of the day.JPG
start of the day.JPG (403.69 KiB) Viewed 6077 times
end of the day.JPG
end of the day.JPG (368.96 KiB) Viewed 6077 times

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here

Post by ROBBIE » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:22 pm

Just looking through this part of the forum, and find this. It still looks the same as the last pic, but hoping to get some time in next week. Was good reading some history again.
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

Rabid Rhino
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Rabid Rhino » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:10 am

I've owned 2 LJ80s & 2 LJ160s andcouldn't have kept them going without Leigh Catherick.
Why doesn't anyone call him. He has any part you need. Axles, doors, steering wheels.
He has about 6 LJs flat packed as spare bodies plus all the mechanicals.
He is also a mine of information having done loads of conversions and builds.
Hell, his initials are LJC !!!

ROBBIE

Post by ROBBIE » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:29 am

Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

SherwoodNash
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by SherwoodNash » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:47 am

He spells his name 'Leigh' not 'Lee'.

He hangs out here: http://ragingrhinosforum.boards.net/user/5

By the username 'Abdul'

Phone: 01227 720852

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:47 am

What about juncopartner?

Sure he was a big LJ man and also has / had stacks of bits.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank