my new toy

A place for all UK LJ owners to introduce themselves and for all LJ series tech and builds
0611john
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: my new toy

Post by 0611john » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:40 am

I'll definitely take the bars to the windscreen off for the MOT, I think the tester will either say "make them work as a roll cage or take them off" so I might as well get there first. How do you stop it flapping about too much during regular driving though? even when I wasnt offroading my last one too much the joint ended up a bit like a can ring pull just moving back and forth all the time was fracturing the steel.

Good shout on the exhaust, I'll try ringing round a bit, i just couldn't find any on-line.

The axles and things don't look too bad and the previous owner seems to have done a hald decent job of doing the SOA conversion so for the time being I think I'll leave them alone apart from maybe stripping it down when I come to do it properly.

I don't suppose you want to part with a set of doors? :lol:

John

0611john
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by 0611john » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:42 am

good shout on the petrol tank too! The one at the minute is in the pick-up bed and looks like it'll do the job for the MOT which is the main concern at the minute so I can register it but I dont want it taking up space when I finally re-do it. I think ebay might be my friend for one of those

John

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:08 pm

Good to see someone finally bought that LJ :thumbup: and :welcome2: to :suzuki: club UK

The bars connecting to the windscreen should not matter for the MOT as they aren't really structural, things like rollcages etc aren't included in the MOT.

Glad to hear you are going to put it back to stock, it has got some quite ugly accessories if I'm honest :lol:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:12 pm

Quite ugly is an understatement Scottie. Theres a reason why it was for sale for so long. Nice to see your so polite though.

Looks like Johns got some good ideas for it. I've only ever seen rotten LJs. Be nice to see a good restoration. I'm surprised how quickly some parts have become available too.

Good look with it and get some more pics up! Be great to see the transformation.

Jordi
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by ferris » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:49 pm

:welcome: to the club :thumbup: .
86 SJ413 tin top, 1.6 8v, SU carb, YJ spring conversion, virtual lift, 33x12.5x15 KL71's, rocklobster, rear discs, power steering.

0611john
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by 0611john » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:59 pm

I thought I'd upload a pic of my first LJ, I stupidly swapped it for an SJ when I was young and naive.

News on the new one - my brother said it reminds him of the nice looking quite girl in the office that goes on a night out and applies far too much make up, so this weekend ill be breaking our the face-wipes so to speak and taking of some of the crap that's on it. Front and rear bumpers are coming off, side steps and light bar off, hopefully picking and exhaust up tomorrow so I'll change that if I can make some exhaust mounts fit somewhere and I've ordered a set of poly-bushes for it too :) better stop spending money now! if my girlfriend realises I've spent more today on the truck than I have for valentines day ill be in trouble!!
I'll get some pics up as it changes

John
Attachments
first lj.JPG
first lj.JPG (2.97 MiB) Viewed 8961 times

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by dan_2k_uk » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:23 pm

On the plus side there's probably some distasteful fool out there that will give you good money for all the bolt on crap you rip off if you advertise it long enough!

Remember lots of photos but not enough to make me buy one!
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:43 pm

Your last LJ looked really tidy! Also looks familiar, I'm pretty sure I've seen pics of it before! Ignore Dan post lots of pics to give me some motivation to start mine! :thumbup: really need to get on a hunt for some panels though!
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

0611john
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by 0611john » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:06 pm

The last one was pretty tidy when we had finished with it, not so to start with though!
I had some time this weekend to work on the new one, front and back bumpers came off, side steps and the tops of the roll bars came off as well. It fits in the garage now without scraping the top of the door :doublethumbs:
Me and my friendly mechanic got all the electrics working again, just need to tidy the switches and things up but that was a big step mentally, great now its all working! main step was changing the switch for the side/headlights for a new one but lots of chasing around and messing as well, not something I look forward to.
I'll get some pics up later this week but I thought I'd add this one for you all to see. I took the old lorry style exhaust off today as well, I managed to find an original LJ one at a local exhaust centre, I bet it had been on the shelves for years! anyway, the fitting of the old one was interesting to say the least, loads of flexible pipe went right to the back of the car, under the wheel arch, in the tighest 180 I have seen on an exhaust and then right back to the windscreen where it had that stupid pipe up the side. I seriously cannot understand what anyone would be thinking putting a bend like that in an exhaust system!

John
Attachments
IMG_0922.JPG
IMG_0922.JPG (3.2 MiB) Viewed 8878 times

0611john
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by 0611john » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:39 am

Wow, it’s been a long time since I posted anything! To be honest, it’s been a long time since I’ve done much work on the truck either! Finished my degree and have been renovating my house in the meantime but now the house it coming together, I have a little more time to do some tinkering.
Not a great deal has changed since last time, I managed to find a pair of doors but one of them is in pretty bad condition, looks like something drove into it but it might be salvageable, both need a really good clean down. I also got an original steering wheel of the same chap, I much prefer the original wheel over the aftermarket sort.
I managed to get hold of 4 Jimny wheels and legal tires from eBay to replace the cracking and flat tyres that are on it currently, I just haven’t had chance to stick them on yet. I won’t them for 99p but I didn't ask for any change from my £20 when I picked them up, there’s cheeky and then there’s 99p for four decent tires!
I've also started trying to remove some of the rubber underseal that a previous owner decided to spray EVERYWHERE! So far it seems to be pretty tidy underneath, fingers crossed it stays that way for the rest of it.
I’ll try and get some pics up this weekend, it certainly looks better without half the tat bolted to it!