low range on hard surfaces

All tech relating to the newest bread of suzuki 4x4s
bale
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

low range on hard surfaces

Post by bale » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:18 am

Hi All
please help just bought 51 plate jimny for delivering logs with ifor Williams 8 x 5 tipper. When reversing will I do any damage using low range by not locking the free wheel hubs (not bought or fitted yet ) as worried i will do damage to the transmission if in four wheel drive low box on hard surfaces.
thanks chris

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Re: low range on hard surfaces

Post by timwilks13 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:39 am

In 4WD on hard surfaces you will get transmission wind up on, but if the FWH aren't locked you will be fine as the front shafts will just spin freely. So you will just have RWD in low box.
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:52 am

I have been told that it can damage free wheeling hubs by spinning the shafts when they are unlocked, but I think this is more related to the cheaptastic hubs with the plastic internals.
Either way if its only for a short distance it should be fine.... I just wouldn't drive 100 miles in 4wd with the hubs unlocked ;)
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:08 pm

So are you swapping to manual FWH as Jimny's have a vacuum operated free wheeling system as standard so its impossible to run in 4wd without them being locked....well unless they are broken.
twiss wrote:I have been told that it can damage free wheeling hubs by spinning the shafts when they are unlocked, but I think this is more related to the cheaptastic hubs with the plastic internals.
Either way if its only for a short distance it should be fine.... I just wouldn't drive 100 miles in 4wd with the hubs unlocked ;)
I've never understood how this can be the case? The same parts are spinning when unlocked at 50mph in 2wd that are going to be spinning in 4wd with them unlocked at 5mph :er:

I've accidentally driven about 10 miles in 4wd high at speed with my hubs unlocked when my 4wd light stopped working :hahaha: :oops: They are fine.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:39 pm

As I said above I think it's mostly with the plastic internal hubs.
If I had plastic hubs I think I would be as careful with them as possible, get some decent metal ones, and throw the plastic ones in the bin ASAP
10 miles is a relatively short distance anyway
If I left them unlocked and drove 20 miles to work in 4h for a month I can see some wear happening in there somewhere
Twiss

'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Post by timwilks13 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:12 pm

If anything, travelling at high speeds in 4wd with them unlocked is going to cause less damage because most of the time all the internals, even though not locked together, will be spinning at the same speed?
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:12 pm

If I remember correctly I think the spring loaded clutch gear part comes up and off the end of the splines when the hubs are unlocked. There shouldn't be any contact when running at a constant speed
I think it's more if the driveshaft moves around a bit as the shaft speeds up and slows down, or if you go over a bump possibly
There isn't a whole lot of clearance between the clutch gear and the end of the shaft
And the shafts don't really lock that firmly even with the snap rings on. Mine always have a little bit of in and out play. Few mm

Twiss

'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

Anton
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:50 pm

I don't have fw hubs, I have flanges, and I once drove across the south downs and into Worthing with a shudder coming out of the t-case. Got to the sea front, and realised that my 4wd light was on - it popped out of 2hi into 4hi on its own and I drove a good 10 miles like that thinking that my t-case was on its last legs, but not overly worried as I had a spare.

I've since realised that if I gun it from a standing start, my t-case pops itself into 4wd.

The point is though, that Suzuki' are pretty well built, as a lady would have been a pile of bits and a trail of oil.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map