Oil Change - Guide

All tech relating to the newest bread of suzuki 4x4s
zook123
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Oil Change - Guide

Post by zook123 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:02 pm

Afternoon Guys,

Thought I'd write up a little guide on how to change the Oil on a 2002 G13bb Jimny, it's probably exactly the same as all the 1.3 engines!

I purchased the car early November, and the Oil was last changed in July, with around 1000 miles done since.

I noticed the Oil Pressure light would flicker when the Oil was hot, and also first thing when starting, but since the weather has gotten colder, the light hasn't come back.

I found that on the last Oil Change, 5w30 oil was used, which is rather thin, and most people are using 10w40!

First of all, I drove the vehicle around this morning for around 20mins to ensure the oil was pushed around the engine, I then left to cool a little, and then run for a

further 10mins to get the oil hot.

There is no need to Jack the car up, as even on standard suspension there is plenty of space to get underneath. Just ensure that it is in gear and the handbrake is firmly

applied.

Start by spraying a little penetrating fluid onto the Sump plug, this is located on the rear of the sump - behind the axle.

Get a 17mm wrench, clockwise (towards the front) and just undo the plug - but not all the way! Once the sump has been undone, place a large bucket underneath - I also used a

metal tray to ensure that it didn't spill onto the driveway.
You will now be able to undo the sump plug using your fingers

Now it's time to remove the oil filter, this is removed by turning towards the front, mine was removed by hand, but you may need to use an Oil Filter Wrench.

You will find the oil may have dribbled onto the axle, just wipe off with kitchen roll.

Insert your new Sump Plug and tighten (Mine was 14mm) - these cost less than £5 to replace, so it is worth doing! I like to use the Anodized Plugs, with the copper washer, as they are nice
and easy to remove, and also look pretty cool!

Install the new Oil Filter, run a smear of Engine oil around the rubber gasket - I recommend using a genuine Suzuki filter, these cost the same price as pattern parts! Locate the thred of the engine, and turn towards the bulkhead, it doesn't need to be tightened with a wrench, hand tight is plenty enough!

Remove the Oil Cap, and wipe any 'gunk' off using kitchen roll, mine had a little 'mayo' on the cap, but this is nothing to worry about as it is only condensation.

Now take a funnel and insert into the Engine cover, and pour your new oil in slowly. I started by pouring 4 liters

Check there are no leaks before starting the engine, and start the engine. After running for a couple of minutes to allow the oil to circulate and fill the filter, stop the engine and have a cup of tea/beer/cider etc.

Check the Oil Level and top up as necessary, the G13bb engine takes 4.2litres.

Notice the state of the Oil when it had been removed!

Now you need to drain the old oil back into the original container and take to your local Recycling center which will dispose of it for you.

I do not take any responsibility from issues caused by following this guide.
2002 Jimny O2 Ragtop
Safari Snorkel, Freewheeling Hub Conversion
Diff Breathers, G/Box and T/Box Breathers, 2in Suspension Lift
HD Recovery Points and Winch Plate
Kuhmo KL71 MT / Goodyear Wrangler AT

Wessex 4X4 Reponse - WE411
wessex4x4response.org.uk