Rust problems on BRAND NEW Jimny

All tech relating to the newest bread of suzuki 4x4s
RickUK
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow
Location: Not sure me Tom Tom is bust,but it could be North of Watford Gap.Could be Bedfordshire though.

Re: Rust problems on BRAND NEW Jimny

Post by RickUK » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:53 am

Will be interested on what Suzuki UK say after the inspection and what they say in the final report,if i am honest they cannot deny what has happened but how they rectify the issue will be even more interesting,as if they decide to underseal it FOC or what ever protection they could offer the damage has all ready been done and by adding any form of sealant,i would have thought seal the moisture in.

Chassis protection does not look good,infact it looks zero from the pictures only the paint that it came from the factory,not a good advertising point for Suzuki,but saying that all the off roaders have suffered tin worm for decades.
Deceased.
SJ413 tinwormed to the great car grave yard in the sky.
Vitara LWB V6 engine deceased and also in the great grave yard in the sky.
www.hideones.info www.hideones.info
Current wheels.
BMW X5 Le Mans 3.0turbo diesel.
Looking for a newish Suzuki Jimny.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:48 am

RickUK wrote:but saying that all the off roaders have suffered tin worm for decades.
The sj's were hot dipped in a zinc rich primer at the factory, hence why you rarely see a rusty chassis. tbh it works super well on the body as well and you'll find the rust always starts in seams between two panels where moisture has got in. If you take off the front clip the primer is nearly always perfect behind it on the sides, even though it's never been painted over.

Its a shame they stopped treating their 4x4s like this.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Dirty Habit
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Dirty Habit » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:55 am

A few months back I watched a German YouTube video on the latest Jimny in which the guy presenting (in English) said that for the German market they had extra rust proofing... but he didn't know about other European countries.

RickUK
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow
Location: Not sure me Tom Tom is bust,but it could be North of Watford Gap.Could be Bedfordshire though.

Post by RickUK » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:42 am

Have you heard anything back from Suzuki UK yet ?? or still awaiting the outcome of the investigation,still looking at the possibilty of getting a new Jimny,as it does tick all the boxes for what the wife wants it for.
Deceased.
SJ413 tinwormed to the great car grave yard in the sky.
Vitara LWB V6 engine deceased and also in the great grave yard in the sky.
www.hideones.info www.hideones.info
Current wheels.
BMW X5 Le Mans 3.0turbo diesel.
Looking for a newish Suzuki Jimny.

Rhinoman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Rhinoman » Mon May 08, 2017 10:13 pm

While you are at the dealer you should check on the terms of the warranty, they used to require a separate body service to maintain the corrosion warranty which isn't well publicised. Suzukis tend to be a bit light on rust proofing, its well worth having a waxoyl treatment or similar. A good coating of underseal on the underside of the body can help cut down on noise too.
2006 Jimny JLX+ 1.3 VVT
2000 Vitara 4u2 - Calmini 3+3, 33" MTs, 5:83 R&Ps, winch bumper, remapped ECU.
1986 Suzuki SJ413K - G16 conversion
1984 Suzuki SJ410 - Blitz

The Zee
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by The Zee » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:40 pm

I got my hubby to Waxoyl mine the day I got it, he also spent the whole weekend hammeriting the underside (bless him). Four years on it is as good as new and hosing it off is a breeze.
Attachments
J1.JPG
J1.JPG (123.09 KiB) Viewed 12829 times
J2.JPG
J2.JPG (88.82 KiB) Viewed 12829 times