Help - advice needed

All tech relating to the newest bread of suzuki 4x4s
Mudlarx
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Help - advice needed

Post by Mudlarx » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:09 pm

I own a 54 plate Jimny JLX Mode (in blue, not that it’s pertinent), I’ve owned it for the last seven years.
Sadly the front end has just had a, relatively gentle, close encounter with an armco barrier.
It needs new: nearside wing, bonnet, plastic bumper and ancillary pieces of trim. Unfortunately there’s also a crack in the chassis. The airbags did not deploy. The repair quote is £4500.
The problem is I’m torn between my heart that says repair it, it’s my Jimny, and my head that says put the 4.5k towards replacing it.
The thing is it’s old enough to be low tech, a lever to select 4WD, no AC, etc..
Most of the potential replacement Jimnys I’ve found on-line are later and have more gadgets and quite often have higher mileage than mine.

What are the thoughts of the collective knowledge and experience on this forum, what would you do?

Thanks so much for any advice.

djc
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Re: Help - advice needed

Post by djc » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:16 pm

I'm an SJ owner so not proerly qualified... but if I was ij your position I'd probably look to find a replacement and keep the one you have for parts (or strip and store what you can, sell the rest which could well raise quite a few bob). Had a quick look on eBay and yes, they do seem to clock mileages but a bit of patience will surely find a nice straight clean one, probably less than the 4.5k to fix.
This on Autotrader at the mo - ok it's asking near 5k but looks mint and prob negotiable. I do think they are out there.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 2sh&page=1
Straight n shiny '85 410 soft top.

Douglas