Virtual lift for 31's

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Virtual lift for 31's

Post by Jordi » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:55 pm

Ok, so i thought I wud get away without hacking into the bulkhead with 31s (running standard spings, no lift at all) how ever on full lock and articulation in appears we will be doing sum terrible damage.

I know a few of you are running virtual lifts and was wondering what I need to do to make clearance for 31s????

Any help much appreciated
Jordi
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Re: Virtual lift for 31's

Post by ferris » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:30 pm

Im no expert onthe subject. I got all my info from Sotties build. But heres a couple of pics of what i did. I havent finnished yet, but there should be plenty of room for 31s hopfully.

86 SJ413 tin top, 1.6 8v, SU carb, YJ spring conversion, virtual lift, 33x12.5x15 KL71's, rocklobster, rear discs, power steering.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:50 pm

Thats spotty dog Ferris. I have been reliably informed my tyres can stick out for an mot (despite being totally illegal) so Next weekend I plan to do the bulkhead, get my wings back on and try for an MOT by June. Not bad considering I've had it 5 years.

Just out of curiosity did u grind or gas axe??? im think gas ax may be too severe.

Thanks
Jordi
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:28 pm

Forgot to ask, how far back hav u taken the bulkhead?

Mine looks ok for clearance most places just down the seam fouls as if the corner needs shaping and sweeping back.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:04 am

i just followed the arc of the wheel arch back. think it ended up moving the bulkhead back by about 1" maybe a bit more? not sure if you'll need to take out as much as ferris and I did for 31s however it saves you doing all the work again if you end up wanting to run 33s. or you can go the whole hog and take it all the way back to the body mounts outrigger and probably make enough space for 35s :twisted:

and i did it all with an angle grinder, think ferris did too
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:52 pm

Cheers Scottie. It just never seems to end. Constants cutting plating and welding, im hoping if i do all this well enuf that it'll give me a few years rust free too.

Its getting there now and all i think i need to do at the back is fit the lights and go round with the filler now.

I was hoping the 31s wud clear but no such luck. I may go back quite far and make the old corner into an angled bit if u follow. Gona b another busy weekend.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:47 pm

Sum good news today. I've acquired 4 wheel arches. Currently 4 sheets of steel 2'x4' approx. Nice and thin ish bout 1.5mm so easy to manipulate and bash into shape.

Free was the price so once ive hacked out all that unneccessary bulkhead i now have loads of steel to patch it back up.