What Did You Do To Your SJ Today?

Not covered by any of categories below, want a winch or need to buy some recovery gear then your question goes in here!

You will also find online parts catalogues, Service manuals and a other useful info here.
Gilly_SJ
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: What Did You Do To Your SJ Today?

Post by Gilly_SJ » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:47 am

removed my broken spring packs and made some hybrids out of Bedford springs and my original top and bottom leaves.....Its now lower than it was on the broken ones!

Ordered an Add a Leaf from LLama and I'm looking to see if I have any thicker leaves kicking about to try make it a bit more firm.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:36 pm

Gilly_SJ wrote:removed my broken spring packs and made some hybrids out of Bedford springs and my original top and bottom leaves.....Its now lower than it was on the broken ones!

Ordered an Add a Leaf from LLama and I'm looking to see if I have any thicker leaves kicking about to try make it a bit more firm.
if the tyres still fit i wouldn't worry about it........you want soft springs, they will flex better. flex is more important than height.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Gilly_SJ
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Gilly_SJ » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:38 pm

The back end is too low compared to the front, the castor angle will be miles away and it didn't drive "well" before :lol:

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:35 pm

:er: The rear springs won't change the caster angle? Even changing the front springs won't as they have a centred pin so the amount of arch in the spring doesn't matter.

Only easy way to adjust the caster is by fitting different length shackles, longer shackles reduce the caster angle.

Simple, fit standard length shackles to the front and it will lower it and fix the caster angle as well as increasing the approach angle ;)
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:51 pm

What did I do today.... fitted a gypsy bumper for the VRT/MOT.... and no it doesn't clear the 31s at all haha
Attachments
13632873_10157383036870122_2132543224_o.jpg
13632873_10157383036870122_2132543224_o.jpg (186.08 KiB) Viewed 7875 times
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

SherwoodNash
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by SherwoodNash » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:20 pm

Is your VRT as strict as our MOT twiss? are you confident about your LED's going thru OK?

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:26 pm

Well they have made it a bit more strict on modifications here this year.... so things like winch bumpers, rollcages need approval from Transport Malta (maltese DVLA)
From speaking to the locals people seem to just swap parts about for the VRT. Only every 2 years so not too much hassle.

But apart from that they can be a bit slacky. Like my last car I VRTd passed with some lights out and they didn't even check things like the seat belts.
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

Gilly_SJ
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Gilly_SJ » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:49 pm

ScottieJ wrote::er: The rear springs won't change the caster angle? Even changing the front springs won't as they have a centred pin so the amount of arch in the spring doesn't matter.

Only easy way to adjust the caster is by fitting different length shackles, longer shackles reduce the caster angle.

Simple, fit standard length shackles to the front and it will lower it and fix the caster angle as well as increasing the approach angle ;)
The back end is lower and will have rotated the anus about the front axle changing the castor angle, might not be much but the rear is a good 3" lower so will be noticeable.

Its on extended shackles and lift springs so I'm no where near even changing the front to standard, plus I don't have any shackles and I've already ordered the add a leaf :lol:

SherwoodNash
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by SherwoodNash » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:51 pm

twiss wrote:Well they have made it a bit more strict on modifications here this year.... so things like winch bumpers, rollcages need approval from Transport Malta (maltese DVLA)
From speaking to the locals people seem to just swap parts about for the VRT. Only every 2 years so not too much hassle.

But apart from that they can be a bit slacky. Like my last car I VRTd passed with some lights out and they didn't even check things like the seat belts.
Just wondered as I read this 6 year old article
http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi ... hts.292260

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:51 pm

Gilly_SJ wrote:
ScottieJ wrote::er: The rear springs won't change the caster angle? Even changing the front springs won't as they have a centred pin so the amount of arch in the spring doesn't matter.

The back end is lower and will have rotated the anus about the front axle changing the castor angle, might not be much but the rear is a good 3" lower so will be noticeable.

Its on extended shackles and lift springs so I'm no where near even changing the front to standard, plus I don't have any shackles and I've already ordered the add a leaf :lol:
The back being lower would increase caster angle though and that's not a bad thing.. I do agree though having the back lower is far from ideal haha the main problem with the longer shackles is the reduced caster angle though, that's probably why it drives badly ;) just warning you that add-a-leafs are really stiff normally and give quite a harsh ride!
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!