2013 Grand Vitara 1.9 DDiS Fuel System Failure Warning

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
LE54FAZ
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

2013 Grand Vitara 1.9 DDiS Fuel System Failure Warning

Post by LE54FAZ » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:01 am

Hi All,
The orange fuel system failure light on my 50k mile Vitara seems to have developed a mind of its own.

It will come on after about half an hour of driving , when you stop it goes off and will come on again in another 20 to 30 mins.

It did give a fault code on our local independent garages system, indicating a throttle position sensor fault. this was changed and the codes cleared. No change. Fuel filter changed, no impact and it does not show a fault code on my OBDII scanner which works fine with my other cars.

Any ideas please or is this one for a main dealer??

Jeremy

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here

Re: 2013 Grand Vitara 1.9 DDiS Fuel System Failure Warning

Post by ROBBIE » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:07 am

:welcome: sorry can't help. Can't cope with ecu prefer old school mechanics
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

LE54FAZ
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by LE54FAZ » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:08 pm

Cheers Robbie,
Much the same myself unfortunately.

SZ5
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by SZ5 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:09 am

First of all welcome. Another newer generation Grand Vitara on theboard.

2013 might still be covers under a Suzuki warantee? Sounds like you have done all the things I have suggested by way of fuel filter. Did you reset the codes / clear the error message when you did that?

Sorry, can't help much more. Stay with us on this forum, and see if you can get any clues from a Renault forum as that's a Renault diesel Suzuki fitted.
Just washed, not a leak from the engine!

LE54FAZ
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by LE54FAZ » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:09 am

Ahh, rightho - of course it is. Thanks for that. Mil light has come on today so I might have a code now.

SZ5
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by SZ5 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:45 am

Post up the code, I'll see if my resources tells us what to look at. Do you notice any difference in engine note / pulling power or anything else? Sometimes cars give too much information.... but I'm the sort who'd hate a little light warning about something no matter how trivial.
Just washed, not a leak from the engine!

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:40 pm

Been doing a bit of reading and apparently it could be to do with the Diesel Particulate filter.. a clogged air filter, an issue with the EGR valve, or even the pipe between the turbo and intercooler de-laminating on the inside.
Don't have a GV or even a myself but might be worth checking those things out too
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

JeremyFarrow
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by JeremyFarrow » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:32 am

Same fault , fuel system warning light on after about half an hour of running. Goes off when stopped on again later etc. Sometimes throws up a throttle position fault code. If you clear that it goes away.
Is it a defective EGR? Time to replace? If so any ideas on how i can obtain the part number. I notice ebay sellers have EGR valves for about £80.00 rather than the £304 at Euro car parts.

clarker63
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by clarker63 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:10 am

I've also got a similar issue on my 1.9 ddis 2011 gv but the 'water in fuel' light is now staying on constantly. I've drained the filter but nothing fixes it. No codes that I can see. I'm assuming it's the sensor but been quoted £160 by suzuki for that. Its not doing many miles because of lockdown. Did you manage to get to the bottom of the fault? I can't decide if I care enough about it to fix it! Any thoughts? Cheers

ROBBIE

Post by ROBBIE » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:36 pm

clarker63 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:10 am
I've also got a similar issue on my 1.9 ddis 2011 gv but the 'water in fuel' light is now staying on constantly. I've drained the filter but nothing fixes it. No codes that I can see. I'm assuming it's the sensor but been quoted £160 by suzuki for that. Its not doing many miles because of lockdown. Did you manage to get to the bottom of the fault? I can't decide if I care enough about it to fix it! Any thoughts? Cheers
I used to have an old Peugeot 405 diesel and the water in fuel light used to come and go all the time, I got fed up with trying to sort out why ands just left it in the end
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good