New cam, lifters cleaned, now dead

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
Weatherby70
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

New cam, lifters cleaned, now dead

Post by Weatherby70 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:14 pm

When I bought her she had a noisy cam. The wife had wanted one for ages and I was told by a "mechanic" that a new cam kit would resolve. The kit cost an unbelievable £300! Plus labour. I was sent a whatsapp video of the chain "slapping" the cam cover. The "mechanic" changed the whole cam kit and changed the oil, he phoned me to say she ran beautifully for approximately 10 minutes (idle) and then she knocked again. He now says it won't start and that the engine is goosed. I am so mad, I have put so much £££ into this for my wife (and to make it worse, today is our 17 year anniversary!) Does anyone have any previous experience or advice? Anything would be greatly appreciated. I haven't got the heart to tell the wife she's dead, she was so excited!!! Please help! :rhino:
He also said that when he was waiting for the parts he cleaned the lifters as they were clogged up with oil.

BTW she's a 55 plate Suzuki Grand Vitara Estate 4x4 2l Petrol.

Anton
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Re: New cam, lifters cleaned, now dead

Post by Anton » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:48 pm

Welcome to the forum. You've got a J20a engine there, I don't know much about them but a couple of guys on here have them, some have even done rebuilds (ginger_boy did a rebuild after a snapped timing chain a couple of years ago). Did this mechanic not say what he thought was wrong with it now?

"it's goosed" isn't all that specific...
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:18 pm

Personally if i took a car to a garage to be repaired and it came out worse than when it went in after they have done work on it then I would be demanding that they fix it and put it right out of their pockets!

I presume that you mean the cam chain was changed? Sounds to me like it was fitted wrong or he set the timing wrong.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

RickUK
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow
Location: Not sure me Tom Tom is bust,but it could be North of Watford Gap.Could be Bedfordshire though.

Post by RickUK » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:04 pm

I would be straight back to the mechanic asking for it too be put right but not at your expense for sure,hope you get the problem resolved quickly and without any further problems.
Deceased.
SJ413 tinwormed to the great car grave yard in the sky.
Vitara LWB V6 engine deceased and also in the great grave yard in the sky.
www.hideones.info www.hideones.info
Current wheels.
BMW X5 Le Mans 3.0turbo diesel.
Looking for a newish Suzuki Jimny.

Rhinoman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Rhinoman » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:49 pm

Maybe the bad cam was caused by a lack of oil pressure.
2006 Jimny JLX+ 1.3 VVT
2000 Vitara 4u2 - Calmini 3+3, 33" MTs, 5:83 R&Ps, winch bumper, remapped ECU.
1986 Suzuki SJ413K - G16 conversion
1984 Suzuki SJ410 - Blitz