Vitara Fuel tank lift

Not covered by any of categories below, want a winch or need to buy some recovery gear then your question goes in here!

You will also find online parts catalogues, Service manuals and a other useful info here.
AshVit
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Vitara Fuel tank lift

Post by AshVit » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:08 am

I assume this is the right place to post this..
Did my body lift last week and removed all rotton fuel pipes lasr night. I am wanting to lift the fuel tank to get more clearance at the back and put a new guard on ill be making.

Has anybody on here done this before??
Thanks in advance.

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Vitara Fuel tank lift

Post by Anton » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:06 pm

ScottieJ's solution:Image

Jordi has done something similar. Take a look at their build threads.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:53 pm

If its got standard body work the only real way to lift the tank is to bring it inside.

With the body lift, presuming the vit tank is mounted similar to an SJ tank, on brackets hanging from the chassis. You could cut the equivilant to the body lift off the brackets and weld on new captive nuts to bolt the tank in. Thats if its similar to an SJ.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ROBBIE

Post by ROBBIE » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:39 pm

I got a steel tank for sale, that bolts in the back :lol:
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

AshVit
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by AshVit » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:45 pm

Thanks for the replies, ive had a look through a few builds on here and looked at bits4vits build blogs too and took some ideas.
Its a full bodied SWB vitara with standard tank ive had a look at it and with moving the Evap bottle on the top of the tank into the inner arch out the way i can get the tank upto the chassis rails.

Hopefully a couple small brackets with captive nuts and a new tank guard should be all good. :)
Ill let you all know how it goes.

AshVit
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by AshVit » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:17 pm

So after abit of swearing, cutting grinding, welding and drilling and some new fuel pipe.. the tank lift is mostly done :)

All thats left to is connect all my pipes (feed, return, evap, filler and breather) and then secure it properly once the new guard is made that is.. with the nuts bolts and washer i shall get tomorrow. Not a bad couple hours work.

It wont let me attach any photos as the 'file is too big', no idea how im supposed to compress the size of them to be able to upload them..

AshVit
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by AshVit » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:03 am

Had to resize the pics quite alot for them to be able to be uploaded. but you get the jist :doublethumbs:
Attachments
the picture from the back to show how tucked up to the body the tank is now compared to standard.
the picture from the back to show how tucked up to the body the tank is now compared to standard.
20170627_204308.jpg (100.57 KiB) Viewed 7718 times
a picture from the side where the filler neck hose will join.
a picture from the side where the filler neck hose will join.
20170627_204341.jpg (95.04 KiB) Viewed 7718 times

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:10 am

Nice work....looks fairly easy with the body lift
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

AshVit
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by AshVit » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:41 am

ScottieJ wrote:Nice work....looks fairly easy with the body lift
cheers buddy, yes its not too bad once the body is lifted.
turns out with a 2" body lift you have to remove and relocate the little white Evap bottle from the top of the tank.
I'm moving mine inside the car and running the pipes up through the wheel arch, so it can be hidden behind the rear panel in the boot.

Once that is removed and all pipes connected up you slide the back of the tank over the cross member and weld some tabs on the tank so it can be bolted through the chassis. and the front of the tank just sits under the cross member and bolts straight though it.

You have to cut the original mounting brackets off to be able to do this though and obviously make a new guard as the starndard one no longer fits :L