Kunifer/Cunifer brake flares splitting problem!!

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
palo123
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Kunifer/Cunifer brake flares splitting problem!!

Post by palo123 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:05 pm

Evening all,

I'm currently doing my brake lines on the sj using Kunifer, Copper/nickle pipe but i'm having problems with the flares splitting on the edges. I'm using the tool pictured below after having too much trouble with the cheep shite ones that i already have from a couple of years ago. The tool flares perfectly on copper but i know from research not to use copper, i though maybe the tool is only good for copper but it specifies in the description of when i bought it that is can be used for Kunifer and even steel, which i doubt.

The pipe is 10% Nickle and 90% copper, so i guess the nickle reduces the work hardening in the alloy.
I have followed the instructions that came with the tool after having bad results on the first flare in picture 2 by not following them.

So basically does anyone have any ideas on why it might be doing this or had experience with this happening to them? I've spent a long time researching the do's and don't of flaring and brake lines as it's the sort of thing i don't want to fuck up. I'm just confused at this point.

Here's the tool

First flare without using instructions

Other flares

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: Kunifer/Cunifer brake flares splitting problem!!

Post by Jordi » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Never has an issue myself. I just use a cheap machine mart flaring kit and use what i’m fairly sure is normal copper brake pipe.

No issue with the pipe or the flaring kit.

Whats the reasons you shouldn’t use normal copper pipe?
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

andyrew
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Re: Kunifer/Cunifer brake flares splitting problem!!

Post by andyrew » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:31 pm

That's odd.

I've not used kunifer myself but know it's recommeded over copper due to work hardening.

Have you used any lube whilst doing the flair? I normally dip copper lines in a bit of brake fluid to lubricated when flairing.
Andys Rusty Suzuki Emporium