top hose water leak

All tech relating to the Suzuki Vitara that won't relate to any other models, Front IFS etc.
rob381
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

top hose water leak

Post by rob381 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:52 pm

Hi guys, i noticed a couple of weeks ago that the top rad hose where it joins the metal pipe is dripping.I have seen it dripping onto the water pump, hose looks ok as does the metal pipe.Tried to find replacements for both but to no avail. Added another jubilee clip but still dripping. 04 plate GV 2.0 ltr petrol. Any advice as to where to locate such parts would be appreciated (dealer last resort ).
Regards.

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Re: top hose water leak

Post by timwilks13 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:08 pm

Are you 100% its the hose you think it is? You can sometimes get surface corrosion where the rubber and metal meet, which can force a gap and let water out. I would start by draining the system, undoing and removing the culprit and giving the pipes a good clean with some wire wool or fine abrasive paper. Clean them and put them back on and test again.

Make sure your jubilee clips don't go over the lips on the metal pipe as they won't seal properly.
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

rob381
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by rob381 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:14 pm

Hi and thanks for the reply. I am 100% sure that its dripping from there because I stood and watched it dripp while the engine was running. Worth giving your suggestion a go, nothing to lose.
Regards.

zook123
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by zook123 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:10 pm

I know you've said not main dealer, but i've picked up the bottom hose for my G13BB Jimny (similar to the 1600 Vitara) and it was £12 for the bottom and £18 for the top - and you know it's going to be quality.

You can get chingnesium copied in silicone, but they're never the perfect fit, and you can't guarantee they'll fit when they arrive!
2002 Jimny O2 Ragtop
Safari Snorkel, Freewheeling Hub Conversion
Diff Breathers, G/Box and T/Box Breathers, 2in Suspension Lift
HD Recovery Points and Winch Plate
Kuhmo KL71 MT / Goodyear Wrangler AT

Wessex 4X4 Reponse - WE411
wessex4x4response.org.uk