Rear tyre wear

All tech relating to the Suzuki Vitara that won't relate to any other models, Front IFS etc.
lynwood123
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Rear tyre wear

Post by lynwood123 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:05 pm

My 2 year old Vitara with only 14k Miles has worn outside of both rear tyre down to 1.6mm on outside wear markets - I would expect rear tyres to do twice this mileage.
Car is ‘67 Reg., tyres as fitted new, just outside edges worn on both rear tyres. Car generally runs one-up so lightly loaded most of the time, tyre pressure is generally 33/35 all round.
Last edited by lynwood123 on Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Rear tyre wear

Post by donkeychomp » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:45 pm

Wheels out of balance I'd say. They should have been done when the tyres were fitted.
If it ticks over...leave it

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:58 am

One outside edge or both edges?

Could also be down to tyre pressure.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

maxaret
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by maxaret » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:27 am

Have the tyres always been fitted to the rear ? It is the type of wear I would normally associate with front tyres.
As Jordi posted - is it just on one edge of both tyres - or both edges of both tyres ?

lynwood123
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by lynwood123 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:42 am

Hi this is a ‘67 reg Vitara just done 15.5k miles been to dealer wear is 1.6mm n/s, 2.1mm o/s. Dealer showed me Suzuki Spec for rear tyre nose-in, 6.2mm +/- 4mm Dealer tells me reasonably equal edge wear suggests toes- in at or near spec max and reasonably even split either side so no warranty claim - hopeless. New experience after 60+ years driving. Should have stuck with Ford, much better car all round.

maxaret
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by maxaret » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:47 am

Have you had the Suzi from new ?
Just wondering if the tyres had originally been fitted to the front,as front tyres tend to wear on the outside edge whilst cornering/parking etc.

Anton

Post by Anton » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:36 pm

Back in 2008 I bought a Toyota Yaris. It ate a set of front tyres and front brakes in under 10k. Took it back to the stealership, and they proclaimed nothing was wrong (as they always did). Was getting about 30mpg (it was a diesel) where the previous 1.0 yaris petrol was giving me 45.

Kept complaining, they said I needed to get an alignment done, because they claimed I'd hit a kerb - I hadn't. Eventually they took the vehicle in for "inspection" which took over 2 days. When I got the car back, they claimed nothing wrong with the car still. However, now it was doing 55mpg round town, the brakes lasted forever and the tyres too.

MOT time, and the MOT tester asked if I'd been in an accident, I told him no (concerned at this point) and he said he asked because the whole front subframe had been replaced. Nothing wrong, eh?

Turns out there was a common fault with the front subframe on many Toyotas of that time. My guess is the reason they didn't own up to it was they didn't want to refund the cost of the tyres/brakes.

Don't trust your stealership. Don't blame Toyota/Suzuki either, it's the guy who runs the dealership who's fobbing you off, call Zuki headquarters and see what they say. Maybe get an independent assessment done too, if you think you have a faulty vehicle.

And just for the record, I've got friends with Fords who've had just as much trouble with their main stealership too.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

HughJarse
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by HughJarse » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:01 pm

Issue with the rear axle buddy, Take it to the dealer should provide you with a new axle that's been updated to cure the problem. Might even pay for 50% of the tyres as long as it in warranty !. Good luck

wieye
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by wieye » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:08 am

hi i have my 2017 vitara from new with 8000 miles it has just been in for its first mot and last warranty check
the back axel is bent and suzuki pointed out to me the tyres were scrubbed off due to this
it is getting new axel fitted and new tyres under warranty but i am not happy that with my low mileage car requires this
amount of work