MOT fun :)

Anything Suzuki related, but not technical, it goes here!
maxaret
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

MOT fun :)

Post by maxaret » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:05 pm

We have an 05 G Vitara 1600 3dr Auto,we bought it almost 1 year ago but because of the awful weather since last june (scotland) - we have not done many miles in it yet LOL
Anyway the MOT is due next month so I spent an hour or 2 doing pre mot prep on it.
This included clearing out all the junk,I then tackled the headlights which were absolutely yellow with u/v damage etc,after lookin at all the alternatives I decided on the Aluminium Polish technique as seen on youtube,I lightly masked off round the lights and gave the lights a quick polish with the aloominum paste and a soft lambswool buffer on the elect drill - 2 minutes each side and they were absolutely clear and sparkling - amazing :mrgreen: .
We then checked all the lights were working and laughed at the dumb design of the rear lights (ie having all the important lights in the tiny units on the bumper - really low down) and just having the reversing lights and rear fog light in the upper and much larger light units LOL.
I could not book the mot last week because I was working on my other toy (a 42 year old and very cute glider :) ).
So 8 o'clock yesterday morning I called me local garage - managed to get a cancellation and was in there with the Suzi for 9 o'clock - result - and she passed (only 41,600 miles on clock).
The fun part was that the guy in the garage knows I live really close by and asked me to take it for a pre mot drive to warm her up (give it a thrash),whilst thinking about the best way to do that with an Auto Box I suddenly remembered the A/T 'Power' switch which we had never tried,so I selected that and it sure does make the Suzi more fun to drive (although prob a little thirstier on fuel).

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Re: MOT fun :)

Post by timwilks13 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:19 pm

Congrats on the MOT, never heard about that light trick before, just fitted some brand new lenses to the SJ but will have to keep that one on the back burner if I ever need it!
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

maxaret
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by maxaret » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:34 pm

Thanks Tim - yes the aloominum polish technique works really well - I guess it is the industrial version of using toothpaste and literally just takes a couple of minutes.
I cannot find the video I originally saw but you can see the results on this one,I used a proper buffer though - the buffer this guy uses looks a little risky LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNjSsrCmylU

SherwoodNash
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by SherwoodNash » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:33 am

timwilks13 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:19 pm
Congrats on the MOT, never heard about that light trick before .........
Tim, you mean you've missed all those Scotty K and Chris Fix headlight cleaning wars on YT over the last few years? lol

donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by donkeychomp » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:23 pm

Nice going on the MOT! I actually tried the toothpaste method and was amazed it worked...
If it ticks over...leave it

maxaret
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by maxaret » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:27 pm

Thanks DC - yeah toothpaste is a traditional mild plastic polish - the thing is - If you use toothpaste to polish your headlights,does it make them look mint ???? :mrgreen: ahem !!

RichyP
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by RichyP » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:20 am

Good tip on the headlights think I'm going to try that one, mine are scratched to high heaven from all the brambles on the tracks.

maxaret
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by maxaret » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:06 am

RichyP wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:20 am
Good tip on the headlights think I'm going to try that one, mine are scratched to high heaven from all the brambles on the tracks.
Not sure how well it would work on scratches Ritchy - it is mostly to polish off matting/yellowing due to UV and erosion.

RichyP
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by RichyP » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:12 pm

Might see if I can get away with it if not new covers!

maxaret
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by maxaret » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:55 pm

Definitely worth a go,make sure you mask off the surrounding paint,it can be a little messy LOL