G16A head gasket

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
Larry
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

G16A head gasket

Post by Larry » Sat May 23, 2020 2:13 pm

Hi all,

I bought a G16A around 18 months ago after my 1.3 had a big end bearing go.

Through one thing and another I've only got around to finally installing the 1.6. I bought the engine described as a good runner but never seen it run as was already removed from previous car. So I've not idea of mileage etc.

Got it fired up quickly last week without coolant (just started for 30 seconds) to see that it could run.

Then I filled it with coolant and did an oil change and got it started up this morning. Set the idle and adjusted the distributor and running pretty well on the SU carb.

Hunting a little at idle but not a bad starting point. After about 5 mins you could tell that the thermostat had opened as the top hose was getting warm. Then I stopped it for a minute or two as had to adjust distributor.

At this point I could hear some gurgling from the rad. Didn't think too much of it as thought there may be an air lock to flush out.

Then I started it back up and ran again for a few mins at which point it was fully warm. Then I noticed that there was a few quirts of water popping out of the expansion tank.

So I stopped it to have a look. Let it cool a little, carefully popped the rad cap off and it spat out a good bit of coolant (which I expected as was still pressurised). So filled it up with cold, started again and let it idle with rad cap off, it gurgled and occasionally spits a few bubbles but not very much

Are 1.6s prone to head gaskets and do they always need a skim when doing the gasket? Obviously I'll check flatness if I have to take it off but if a skim is likely I'd like to line someone up before I strip it.

Think I'll buy a leak down kit and try that to see if it's pressurising the coolant.

Any thoughts?

Larry

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Re: G16A head gasket

Post by timwilks13 » Sun May 24, 2020 6:28 pm

I wouldn't say they were renowned for it but it can happen as they're an ally block. I would check the water pump is working properly.
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun May 24, 2020 7:18 pm

timwilks13 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 6:28 pm
I would say they were renowned for it but it can happen as they're an ally block. I would check the water pump is working properly.
Were renowned for it?

Fairly sure your auto correct has offended the suzuki community Tim.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Larry
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Larry » Sun May 24, 2020 7:53 pm

Good to know, thanks. I've just done the timing belt and fitted a new water pump as well as back flushing the rad. All looked good and when running with the rad cap off you can see that there is flow across the radiator once the thermostat opens. I've just had a delivery of a leak down test kit so will give that a shot asap and let you know if that gives any clues. :salute:
Attachments
IMG_20200524_195108052.jpg

steve greenc3
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by steve greenc3 » Mon May 25, 2020 9:20 am

Have your heater on when filling coolant system, to make sure there`s no airlock in those hose`s,as some of them can be higher up in vehicle.

Larry
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Larry » Mon May 25, 2020 11:52 am

Good shout Steve. I'll check that to make sure it's not air locked.

I've just done a leak down test and each cylinder was in between 20 and 30% give or take (I repeated it across all cylinders several times). All reasonable values I think and could hear hissing from dip stick tube mainly which indicates a bit of ring wear, no surprises really.

So I put it all back together and this time I fitted the cowling and viscous fan. It's been running for 20 minutes now and no issues.

Have I just been an idiot by not fitting the fan previously? I had assumed that 10 minutes of idling with a bit of choke here and there would have been ok on a mild morning without the fan. Maybe I was wrong! :S

Need to get a few other bits finished before I can take it for a test drive up and down the lane to put a bit of load on it and see what it's running like then.