Grand vitara2ltr td 2002 wont start

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
smify
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Grand vitara2ltr td 2002 wont start

Post by smify » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:51 pm

Hi,Twice in the last week wont start after running, one short journey the other a bit longer , engine cranks ok, no sign of a start, after 20--30mins suddenly starts as normal no smoke or any spluttering, and then runs normally. has recently had a new erg, and various other parts sensors etc, runs absolutely fine loads of power never a hint of a glitch. It seems to me the fuel pump is not being activated, could be the relay? any ideas'
Have just noticed having forced the non starting mode that what is missing is the slight whirring sound and plomp after the ignition is switched on,sois that the pump relay not activating?

momo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: Grand vitara2ltr td 2002 wont start

Post by momo » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:57 pm

Only just joined myself and only just bought a 2004 2.0 grand vitara (but petrol engine) I cant help you with the problem sorry but I hope you find a fix and someone on here can help you, if you find the reason would you post it as its worth knowing. Hope its simple for you to sort. Do you generally find the grand vitara ok? I have owned a 1995 vitara for 10 years and only just upgraded. :)

smify
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by smify » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:34 pm

hi momo, thanks for your interest, our grand vitara has been utterly reliable (until now) owned since 2005 no major expense until recently,

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:14 pm

That age Diesel GVs were known to have immobiliser issues occasionally if i remember correctly. Sounds like it could be your issue if you can't hear the fuel pump priming when it happens. Sorry I can't be much more help on the issue, it's just something i remembered being mentioned quite a lot of times in the past.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

smify
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by smify » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:14 pm

ok,so it seems its the fuel pump not priming, relay working ok, new pump perhaps!