Samurai LWB wheel cylinders and brake drums

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
boxman
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Samurai LWB wheel cylinders and brake drums

Post by boxman » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:49 pm

Hi - I have a K reg Samurai LWB and I'm looking for wheel cylinders, brake drums, and also a handbrake cable. Any help would be much appreciated!
Many thanks in advance!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: Samurai LWB wheel cylinders and brake drums

Post by Jordi » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:52 pm

Drums and cylinders should be available from a decent motor factors.

Handbrake cable may be a toughy. If there is no urgency one of the Indian ebay sellers will probably have the lot.

I’m going to presume the handbrake is on the rear axle?

If you can’t find a cable an alternative would be to fit a transmission brake either an original drum off an earlier model or an aftermarket kit.

Depending on the costs if you went to a transmission hand brake you could always swap to rear discs too. It can be done in a DIY version or i’m sure some places still do aftermarket kits, new calipers aren’t too pricey either although for some reason jimny calipers always seem to be priced cheaper despite being the same. There are different caliper versions though so ideally fit the same as the fronts then its the same pads all round.

Bought from a couple of the Indian sellers myself over the years, never had an issue and as I’ve mentioned in other posts as they are still produced over there many of the parts they send are genuine.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

boxman
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by boxman » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:26 am

Thank you for this - I have tried factors in UK with no success so far. I have used one of the Indian companies for a new dipper/indicator unit, so it makes sense to try there for these parts too. Noted the alternative suggestion for the handbrake - yes, on the rear axel. Thank you for your help - much appreciated!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:59 am

Brakes international is a good place to look, there are multiple options for shoes and cylinders used on sjs so it’s best to visually confirm which ones you have, easy to do on the brakes international website though.

There’s also 2 types of handbrake cable set up? Which one does yours have?
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

boxman
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by boxman » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:47 pm

Hi - thanks for your response, sorry to be slow to get back to you! I will certainly try Brakes International - thank you for the tip. Not sure what the setup is - I will check with BI and hopefully we can work it out.

Thanks again! Kind regards, Andrew.