SJ413 engine conversion to Swift GTI 1.3 Mk 2 Ph 1 engine

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
Grey Man
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

SJ413 engine conversion to Swift GTI 1.3 Mk 2 Ph 1 engine

Post by Grey Man » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:56 am

Just bought a part finished project SJ 413, which is halfway through the engine conversion. The Donor engine is a from a 1991 Suzuki Swift Mk 2, 1.3 DOHC Fuel Injected GTI Phase 1. Before I spiral into error after error and waste money is there anyone out there that can give me some advice. The pictures show the stage that it is at now, however, this will be a 50/50% road/X Country vehicle so needs an MOT.

Does anyone know anything about connecting the ECU and adapting the engine to run (pass emissions test) and give me:

the basic feedback through the Samurai dash (water temp, oil pressure,)?
does it need a Swift exhaust (I suspect it does) adapted or can the samurai fit and run?

Any advice on the above or anything I have missed would be gratefully received.

Cheers
Attachments
ENGINE 1.jpg
ENGINE 2.jpg
ENGINE 3.jpg
ENGINE 4.jpg
ENGINE 5.jpg

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: SJ413 engine conversion to Swift GTI 1.3 Mk 2 Ph 1 engine

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:28 pm

If you’ve got the loom and ECU for the engine then it shouldn’t be hard to get running.

Emissions shouldn’t really be an issue as it only needs to meet the original emissions, if the sj was originally carbed then an injection engine will easily pass those limits.

Water temp and oil pressure warning lights are simple to wire up. You could just use the wires from the original SJ body harness for those.

Yellow/black is oil pressure
Yellow / white is coolant temp but you need to make sure you have a sender that matches the sj clocks so one from the original engine (note Jap and Spanish wiring looms use different resistance senders so you need to make sure you get the one that matches the original vehicle)

You should easily be able to make an adapter to mate the swift manifold to a stock sj exhaust however it looks like your engine has a turbo exhaust manifold on so you would need to make a custom section to mate the two together.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Grey Man
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Grey Man » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:30 pm

Thanks for the quick response ScottieJ,

I follow your logic about the exhaust, perhaps I'm overplaying things, just thought that the ECU would be demanding feedback from any sensors mounted on a Swift exhaust before it would start and run ok.
I'll need to invest in the Swift electrical diagrams for the ECU and probably the workshop manual to get the right fuel pump and pipe layout as I think the Fuel Injection needs a higher pressure delivery pump. I have the ECU but no connector or loom to fit to it. I have 2 full looms from the SJ 413.

Thanks for the tip about the sender units. Were you mention 'original vehicle' are you talking about the donor (Swift engine) or the SJ413. Some sender units are fitted and some are in boxes, all new so not sure if they are going to work with the SJ clocks.
Interfacing the exhaust should be doable with my welder mate on the job.

Cheers for the tips, anything else you can think of is always welcome.

Phil

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:31 pm

So the only sensor in the exhaust will be a single lambda in a phase 1 gti loom I think. You can get weld in bungs for those so it’s pretty easy to add one.

You can get an injection sj tank with built in fuel pump on eBay for around £250 I think, or you can just run the stock tank with an inline high pressure fuel pump. You will need to upgrade the feed pipe to 8mm id and return to 6mm return (can just turn the original feed into a return)

The dash oil pressure, coolant temp and alt warning lights are not linked to the ecu loom at all on these engines.

You will need an original coolant temp sender to match the clocks in your car. So one from the original sj engine (not the swift engine)

I’ll ask a few mates that are into their swift gtis if anyone has a phase 1 loom lying around as that would save you a bit of work.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:51 pm

He has got a loom (and an ecu if you want a spare?) I’m just waiting for him to get back to me with a price.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Grey Man
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Grey Man » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:52 am

Cheers, I have found the connectors and loom that fit the ECU that came with the project. The connectors seem to line up and fit nicely. I'm a long way from putting the wiring to the test, so thanks for the offer, and once i get to the engine wiring stage I should know if my loom will work.