AW03-72LE Automatic stuff.

All tech relating to the Suzuki Vitara that won't relate to any other models, Front IFS etc.
ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

AW03-72LE Automatic stuff.

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:22 pm

So I’m having a few issues with my Auto in the LWB (put it in vitara tech as it’s from a vitara although it’s in my LWB sj)

Thought this would be a good place to put stuff for other people to reference and work through the problems.

Diagnostic stuff
aw03.pdf
(107.1 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
Service manual
261740123.pdf
(3.74 MiB) Downloaded 234 times
So when I first fitted the auto and got it running I had Rhinoman around and on diagnostics there was a code for solenoid 2. I was just hoping it was a bit of a ghost code where it hasn’t been used for so long and a bit of use would see everything working fine.
On it’s first few test runs and trip out it seems to shift up too fast, skipping gears. Looking at the charts in the diagnostics PDF it will shift into OD as soon as possible as a fail safe if solenoid 2 has an issue and that seems to be what it’s doing, I can manually shift it down a gear into 3rd by putting the selector into “2”

I’ve got a bit of a bouncing speedo needle so the VSS signal to the ECU isn’t going to be as clean as it should be so I’m going to check the cable routing and lubricate it (it’s a new cable). I’m also going to fit some gear indication lights from the ECU outputs so I know exactly what gear the box is in and when it’s shifting.
I’m pretty sure it’s shift solenoid 2 causing the issue but I want to 100% confirm before I commit to pulling the valve body out of the box for a clean up and to replace the solenoids.

So yeah, this thread is basically just a place for me to ramble about the issue, post useful info and photos in the hope that it might also help someone else one day.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!