SJ Transfer Box Breather upgrade

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

SJ Transfer Box Breather upgrade

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:53 pm

Some of the pics in another thread disappeared so I spent 20mins this eve to do a little guide on how I do the transfer box breather to extend it for wading.
I’ll do gearbox and diffs soon as well because I’ve got some that need doing.

First use some mole grips to remove the factory breather.
Clamp them on nice and tight and with a twisting back and forth action the breather will pop out.
IMG_9349.jpeg
IMG_9351.jpeg
Now you need a 1/4” BSP tap, I just go straight in with a bottoming tap, being careful to keep it nice and square. It’s a bit trickier to get it started with a bottoming tap so if you’ve got a 1/4” bsp taper tap use that first and then finish with the bottoming tap. The hole is a tiny bit oversized for 1/4” BSP but it’s close enough to work with no issues.
IMG_9356.jpeg
IMG_9352.jpeg
IMG_9353.jpeg
Use a nice big blob of grease on the tap to catch as much swarf as possible. Don’t worry if you can’t get it all out, a tiny bit of soft aluminium swarf isn’t going to hurt anything in the transfer box.

If you notice some drop onto the baffle you can fish it out with a blob of grease on a pokey thing…I used a drill bit
IMG_9354.jpeg
Then screw in a 1/4” bsp right angle push fit fitting for an 8mm hose. You have to use a right angle fitting as there’s not enough clearance for a straight fitting. If the fitting doesn’t have a seal then use some PTFE tape or thread sealant on the fitting for a good seal.
IMG_9357.jpeg
Then run the tube up somewhere nice and high somewhere safe in the engine bay.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

tomcat
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: SJ Transfer Box Breather upgrade

Post by tomcat » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:26 am

Scottie

Thank you. Very clear and detailed explanation.

Rankine
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Rankine » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:58 pm

Great how to Scottie! Was looking at my tbox the other day thinking of trying something with it, but now I know exactly what to do!

Cheers
SJ413 LWB Santana 33s, 94",

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:37 pm

Glad to be able to help, Ill update this thread with how I do my gearbox and axle breathers as soon as I get around to it 👍
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!