Kill Switch

Got an electrical gremlin? Ask the question here.
Turb()
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: Kill Switch

Post by Turb() » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:19 pm

My old one had one in the back of the glove box, a good idea but if anyone decides to chuck something in your glovebox while you are driving and they hit the switch it just dies, not cool if you arent expecting it lol

Turb()
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: Kill Switch

Post by Turb() » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:39 pm

Right I went out to have a look at starting this switch, pulled out the cables to find its obviously had a replacement ignition before as all the wires coming from the barrel are yellow/green and half way to the connector block for the ignition barrel wiring they were all taped to what I assume is the original wiring. This at first was a big downer as its a right bodge :argh: but it then became a bonus as all the cables had been cut, so it was a case of pulling them apart in turn until I found the one I wanted :P
Im not sure if it will be the same for everyone, but basically the wire that is black with a green stripe is the one I used. When it is apart and you turn the ignition the electrics come on but it doesnt turn the starter, then when the wires are together it fires up.
So all I am waiting on is my hold-to-make switch (c'mon christmas post!)
I will then have this hidden (somewhere accesible from the drivers seat) so i hold it and turn the key to start the car :p

I was thinking about maybe also having a battery isolator, so if someone found the button, or if they were clever and just stuck a screwdriver across the starter motor it would foil their plans as they would have no leccy supply?