Whoops.

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
Tango91
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Whoops.

Post by Tango91 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:03 pm

Hi, Tommo from North Devon here.

I previously owned a '99 Jimny which could not be cured of a coolant drinking problem, and a Discovery 2 which ate my wallet followed by a few of my less-important organs.

Kicked off my 2024 New Years resolution to not waste money on crap cars by picking up this lovely little 1995 SJ413 for a grand, down in deepest darkest Cornwall. It's been sat for a few months feeling sorry for itself and was sold as spares and repairs with some MOT until the 19th of this month.

IMG_0138.jpeg
Plenty of patches and welding in evidence on the underside of the body, we shall see what horrors some poking around reveal. The outside of the body looks pretty good, although god only knows what's under the plastic sill trims.

The chassis seems ok in comparison though, and (hopefully) certainly better than my Discovery, which i had to saw in half shortly after purchasing.

Engine wise, she starts with gusto, but won't run for more than a couple of seconds before conking out. I'd assume a fuel issue. (These ones are early FI right? I'm used to either carbs or diesels so this will be a learning experience)

The OEM airbox has been replaced with a much cooler wireless bluetooth K&N style filter that's rolling around in the passenger footwell for some reason. Technology, eh? :S

The seats are really nice and must be from something else entirely, which is kind of nice, but I'm 6'1" and it's something of a magic trick to get behind the wheel.

Stevie Wonder and Helen Keller collaborated on the wiring, which is in equal parts amazing and terrifying.

I'm hoping to slowly bring it around, and with a bit of luck there might be a diamond in there somewhere.

Anyway, I'd love to go on but the mrs is angry at me for some reason. Can't think why. :brows:

Rankine
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Re: Whoops.

Post by Rankine » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:27 am

I'm sure it'll turn out lovely always got some wiring to deal with for some reason 😂 all the best with the project and the mrs
SJ413 LWB Santana 33s, 94",

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:30 pm

Nice! Welcome to the Forum.

Being an SPI model firstly check the fuel system, new filter etc, make sure you are getting a good flow and pressure up to the injector. Then check all the vacuum pipes etc.

They are generally pretty reliable and it’s easy to flash up any stored fault codes.

Unlike landys the chassis rarely rust on these…..the body however is prob gonna need a fair bit of work if it’s previously been patched 🤣 I’m sure you can handle it though, sounds like you have a bit of experience with old cars 👌😅
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Tango91
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Tango91 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:24 pm

Thanks both :)

Got it working tonight, had several litres of water sat at the bottom of the fuel tank!

If you fancy a look into my indentured suffering you can suffer along with my Discovery thread here:

https://www.landyzone.co.uk/land-rover/ ... me.381617/