Suzuki Swift Sport ZC32S odd clutch issue

Not covered by any of categories below, want a winch or need to buy some recovery gear then your question goes in here!

You will also find online parts catalogues, Service manuals and a other useful info here.
plush
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Suzuki Swift Sport ZC32S odd clutch issue

Post by plush » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:22 pm

Hi all,

Bit of an odd one, but maybe someone has had this before.
I'd say the gear selection has been a bit stiff on my ZC32S recently (around 84k on the clock), but just today it become almost impossible to select any gears quite suddenly. The symptom is that all gears are hard to select, I had a peek at the gear linkages and those actually seem fine. Perhaps some slight slack on the left-hand part, but still attached and bushing still in tact.

What is peculiar is that the clutch will disengage and allow a gear change, then it seemingly re-engages toward the bottom of the pedal travel!?
Is that even possible?
There are a couple of reasons I think this is the case, firstly because the gears are much easier to select if you depress the clutch only just far enough, not all the way to the floor.
Secondly, because when I put the clutch right down while in gear (such as coming to a stop in first or reverse gear particularly) the car judders as if it's close to a stall, I could re-create this by just raising the clutch gently while idling and with the handbrake on, same noise and feeling.
The most worrying symptom is the noise it makes, a hissing/whirring sound, honestly a bit like a wind up car, when I select any gear with the clutch right down, then this sound subsides once the clutch is engaged again. I can try to get a video of this.

So, I was able to drive it relatively normally by remembering to only press the clutch as much as necessary, not further, and also tending to shift to neutral before coming to a complete stop. But I have no idea if any driving is bad for it :hmm:
MPG is completely normal, not diminished at all, and I don't feel any clutch slipping.
I'm not a mechanic but can try any simple adjustments, such as the clutch cable, since the actual garage can't see if for another 10 days!

Any insight much appreciated!

plush
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: Suzuki Swift Sport ZC32S odd clutch issue

Post by plush » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:42 am

The video. Today the noise is there from only pressing the clutch, I don't need to move into a gear. So this has changed a bit since yesterday, perhaps for the worse :|

https://streamable.com/epf2y6

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:07 pm

Sounds like maybe your clutch release bearing or something else in the clutch pressure plate has potentially failed.

I would probably advise not driving it until the garage can pull the gearbox off to investigate.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

plush
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by plush » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:03 pm

That does sound very probable :cry:

I'll have to get it to the garage, which is unfortunately about 40 miles, but will try to not use it until then at least.
It sounds quite expensive, never had a clutch fail on a car before, I sold my last one (2007 Renault Clio) at 140k and it was still in decent shape!

Thanks for you help!