(SJ) Removing door hinge screws... help!

fitting new seats? welding up arches? Painting your SJ? post your queries here
djc
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

(SJ) Removing door hinge screws... help!

Post by djc » Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:48 pm

Hi all - done a search here but can't find what I'm looking for. Which is how to remove / extract the the big cross-head screws holding the door hinges on. I have an impact driver but dare not use that as the hinges bolt through thin steel panels so I'd expect damage from that.
I have ordered a full set of new screws (Maruti) so don't mind mashing these but obv want to keep door and panel good.
All experience and help appreciated.
(D'side door has to come off as it's damaged and I got a good replacement, soon to be repainted)
Straight n shiny '85 410 soft top.

Douglas

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: (SJ) Removing door hinge screws... help!

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:35 pm

Right so for starters you need to make sure you get the correct bits.

1st they are not Philips, they are JIS.
I’ve got a set of these bits, a must have for any suzuki owner.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155679795586 ... media=COPY

2nd if you want to remove the screws without damaging them you will need a shake n break, for use with an air chisel, these things are amazing. I’ve never had much luck with impact drivers or impact guns.
Unfortunately nowhere in the UK seems to sell them.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shake-Break-Im ... 89b&nodl=1

If you’ve got new screws so you don’t mind damaging the old ones then the trick is a hammer and very sharp chisel.
Hammer a big notch straight into the outer edge of the screw, then angle the chisel and hit it nice and hard to rotate the screw anti-clockwise and break it free. (It might take a few attempts and sometimes you might chisel the edge of the screw off) once it’s moved, just undo it.
There’s a bit of a knack to it but if done right you won’t damage the hinge.
If that doesn’t make sense I’ll take some pics and do a guide on Friday when I’m next at the workshop for you. I’ve never failed to remove a screw with that method and pretty much never damage the hinge (might take a bit of paint off but that’s easy to sort)
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:19 pm

I use the hammer and chisel method Scottie describes.

Works every time. Nice sharp hardened steel chisel, knock a big notch into the side of the head then tap it round. I usually just replace the screws with bolts.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:30 pm

Yeah I usually fit hex socket button bolts instead.
However the stock style screws are fine to use once they’ve been removed for the first time in 30years 😅
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!