Lil Beastie build

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
Lil_Beastie
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Lil Beastie build

Post by Lil_Beastie » Thu May 19, 2011 8:46 pm

Ello. Some may know me off difflock by my constent questions in the Zuki section.

This isnt going to be a current build, more what Ive done since owning it nearly 2 years, whilst keeping it on the road.
This was my second car, first 4x4 and have learnt lots starting with taking the wheels off to... well I think its alot. :smokin:

So, I bought it like this:
95 Sammie with - addaleafs, mits GTO seats, 235 BFG ATs, 30mm wheel spacers, a hard top roof, 85,000 miles on the clock and MOTs dating back to 2004

In Sept 09 for a few weeks I went on a derust (that didnt work) and painting (with halfords paint which was also a mistake) the rear bumper, spare wheel holder and the hardtop roof black.

Made axle breathers with some hose and wired my rear number plate light as it hadnt worked since having it.

Also in Sept 09 I bought a new radiator as mine was moth-eaten, along with doing an oil change and diff oil level check.

I then got the money to insure it

In Dec 09 took apart and re-grease the free wheeling hubs.

We then had that first year of heavy snow, where I went out greenlaning, breaking my front side and indicator case. So a bodge job was needed with plans in my mind for a new bumper anyway I bought LR lights.
Bit of MDF cut to size.
Ran it like that for 3 months.

In Januray 2010 I bought a new battery as mine wasnt holding its charge.

Its first MOT with me in Feb 10
Advisories were the rusted away front outer arches that I replaced with plastic ones.
And my rear spring bushes. I bought bits4vits polybushes and learnt how to do that saving me £30 per hour for our family mechanic to do.

In March I bought myself a nofearzuki front bumper and I also found locally and bought for a bargin some -50mm offset wheels

They were abit too wide and didnt want to add rubber to widen the arches. So sold them and in April 2010 bought some -20mm modulars with Recip Trial MT 30s. This meant I could through the cheap wheel spacers away (ebay).

For the new wheels in May I bought some Genuine Suzuki Locking wheel nuts

After reversing into a few trees I decided I needed a rear window, bought a CB and replaced the spark plugs in June

After offroading in July I killed my alternator and starter, so got it refurbed. Soon after I blew a a main battery positive wire causing me to loose all power meaning something major was wrong with the electrics. I payed out £££ to get the problem fixed professionally.

In September after a few months saving a safety devices internal roll cage came up locally. Never liked externals personally. However it was for a hardtop sj so got a neighbour to cop an inch off the legs and weld the plates back on.
Last edited by Lil_Beastie on Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Lil_Beastie
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Lil Beastie build

Post by Lil_Beastie » Thu May 19, 2011 9:29 pm

So that was a year passed of owning it, time for a brakes service: new brake pads and rear shoes.
My rear brake caliper decided to rust in half after I tried bleeding it. :jawdrop:

So new rear brake calipers on both sides.

Also in Sept 2010 I had the clutch replaced and I decided I wanted an extra rad fan wired in using an independent switch.

After months of banging and clanging coming from somewhere under my car whilst driving. In October I took it to the doctors (3D Transmissions), to discover it was the transfer box and 2 CVs. And as they'd already stripped it down I had to give the nod for them to fix it, again for masses of £££

blimmy I forgot how much ive spent and done on this thing!

End of October I got a new job in slough. In the first few weeks my front wheel bearings finally gave up on both sides causing serious :toilet: driving along the motorway with the disc brake hitting the pads every few seconds. So after getting a quote from the family mechanic I read up and had a pop at that too at the start of November along with getting the starter motor refurbed again.

Just before the second MOT in febuary 2011 I decided to buy another set of -20mm modulars from my AT BFGs to go onto, as I was doing 177miles a week on the motorway with the muds on.

Lil Beastie failed the MOT on a small bit of welding and a dodgy brake light but no advisories, unlike last time with a few.

So with the dodgy brake light wire half soldered to get it through plans for a rear end re-vamp started forming un-binknown to the parents (until the new lights turned up).

A few weeks of planing and checking legal stuff I started. It needed to be done in a 3 day weekend in Febuaray 11
Off came the spare wheel, weighing in at 4 stone, (the same weight as the roll cage so that went in as a perminent fixture unlike before) and number plate moved to the middle.

A day later I had the holes and another day the lights were wired and silicon-ed in. I painted some spare checker plating to fill in original light holes in the bumper.

In March 2011 the clutch went in the old starter motor so got it fixed under garantee. I decided to buy a spare brand new (fat version) starter motor whilst the old one was being fixed. This meant the old one could be a spare.

In April I went to visit parrot to get some cosmetic welding done on the rear arches to remove the rust that was forming under the rear arches. He performed a 1inch virtual lift whilst also patching up a dodged cover up patch done by the previous owner.

Will update sometime soon.
Last edited by Lil_Beastie on Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Darrell
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Darrell » Thu May 19, 2011 9:40 pm

Welcome Mark, wondered when you would get round to joining here :thumbup:

ps - will you stop breaking things :S
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

albertross74
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by albertross74 » Thu May 19, 2011 10:36 pm

seen your truck on Difflock, really smart 'zuk!
1988 Suzuki SJ413 hard-top with 235/75/r15 General Grabber AT2s & AAL
http://www.flickr.com/photos/albertross74/
http://www.myspace.com/picturesbyalasdairround

Lil_Beastie
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Lil_Beastie » Thu May 19, 2011 10:45 pm

:lol: cheers Darrell

I use it for what it was intended for Darrell, just maybe abit excessively. :rockin:
Last edited by Lil_Beastie on Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Fri May 20, 2011 9:41 am

I've lost count how many starter motors I've had!!!
I've had 3 of the ones I'm currently using....

Then I've had a "skinny" starter... and at least 3 regular starters :(
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri May 20, 2011 10:01 am

:welcome: to :S:cuk matey, glad you decided to join us :rockin:

Nice little zuki you got there, looks like she's getting the treatment she deserves too :thumbup:

It's alternators that I always kill, I've got a big collection at home that I need to go through and rebuild :S
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by ferris » Fri May 20, 2011 6:15 pm

:welcome: to the club lil-Beastie. Your zuk looks :smokin: .
86 SJ413 tin top, 1.6 8v, SU carb, YJ spring conversion, virtual lift, 33x12.5x15 KL71's, rocklobster, rear discs, power steering.

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by ROBBIE » Fri May 20, 2011 7:46 pm

:welcome2: nice truck mate nice to see you've had fun whilst you broke it :lol:
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

d86
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by d86 » Fri May 20, 2011 9:41 pm

welcome..

couldnt pick a better way of intraducing yourself....

nice truck..

tony:)