Opps I killed it

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
srcars
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Opps I killed it

Post by srcars » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:36 pm

Had a spur of the moment trip this afternoon with a mate in his new SJ and me in my Polo/SJ. Started off quite tame and apart from getting wet mud pouring through the sunroof (not managed that before). :twisted:

The last lane we stumbled on was pretty rough and very wet and muddy and I even managed to rip the top off my snorkle off :shock:

As soon as we hit the tarmac I knew something was wrong :cry: I had no power and the car was coughing and spluttering. I kept it going but had to pull over eventually Had a quick tinker with the carb and it ssemed much better and made it home. I already had a suspesion the alternator had died but after turning the engine off it now will not restart. There is no battery light (alternator) but the startor motor doesnt even spin not even a click. have I killed the starter as well because I thought that even without an alternator the engine would spin :?:

Any other ideas or have I managed to kill the starter and alternator in one go :roll: :twisted:

bourneyo
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Opps I killed it

Post by bourneyo » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:44 pm

The starter will only spin if there is enough juice left in the battery.

It does sound as tho you have killed them both, i have killed 3 startes last year but never managed to finish off a altanator! :lol:

Give it all a good wash, get in there with tones of WD40 and check all connections before you start removing starters and altanator, may just be a dodjy connection full of mud that has killed it!

Dan 8-)
http://www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk the new home for your suzuki sj

pepe-le-pieu
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by pepe-le-pieu » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:30 am

Yep I am with Dan there the starter should turn if there is power so clean it and check your wires. i had a bad earth on mine and it would not start and nearly melted all the wires as a result.
yes yes i bought it to save the rhino...long time ago

srcars
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by srcars » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:21 am

Good news is Starter is OK it started with a booster pack but the alternator is DEAD :roll: Once I have fitted a replacement any body know of any tips to protect the alternator :?:

zook123
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by zook123 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:24 pm

sounds stupid and its only a guess. But the alternation spins so the electric gets into the car?

If so could you cover it some how with like. sheet metal or mesh. Only a guess
2002 Jimny O2 Ragtop
Safari Snorkel, Freewheeling Hub Conversion
Diff Breathers, G/Box and T/Box Breathers, 2in Suspension Lift
HD Recovery Points and Winch Plate
Kuhmo KL71 MT / Goodyear Wrangler AT

Wessex 4X4 Reponse - WE411
wessex4x4response.org.uk