Newtomud's Newtobuild

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
Newtomud
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Re: Newtomud's Newtobuild

Post by Newtomud » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:51 pm

dan_2k_uk wrote:Looks like its a race. Ive just :lol: sent him my inlet manifold for SU conversion.

Trucks looking real nice. Keep up the good work :thumbup:
Thanks Dan.. Been looking at your build and mines nothing compared to yours :doublethumbs: and I'm sure yours will be finished long before mine.. Because.. I've just found out that the bloke that's supposed to be helping me with my welding (fully qualified coded welder and instructor at our university) doesn't actually own a mig welder :thumbdown: and that's a phuckin big hole in my boot.
Still onward and upward.. There's always superglue.

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by dan_2k_uk » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:27 pm

cheers mate.

Cant be that hard to find a MIG somewhere. Im sure if you ask around enough someone will have one you can borrow.

Short of that theres always the option of buying one because once youve had a taste of it you will soon be after one anyway! :thumbup:

Dan
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

Newtomud
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Newtomud » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:17 pm

dan_2k_uk wrote:cheers mate.

Cant be that hard to find a MIG somewhere. Im sure if you ask around enough someone will have one you can borrow.

Short of that theres always the option of buying one because once youve had a taste of it you will soon be after one anyway! :thumbup:

Dan
Dan, I won't let a little thing like this get in the way of me getting my SJ on the road.. I'll borrow,hire or buy one and learn to use it..I've been researching mig welders on another thread :thumbup:

I've bought and cut to length some 50x25x2.5mm box section for the cross brace that goes under the boot floor and also bought some 20x20x3mm angle iron to strengthen the 2mm sheet steel where they join.. Slowly but surely I'm cutting and shaping all the bits to fit as i want them. Just wish I could start tacking them together..I'm that close. :doublethumbs: :doublethumbs: :doublethumbs:

Edweird
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Edweird » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:25 pm

Pop rivets in the mean time?
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

Newtomud
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Newtomud » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:03 pm

Edweird wrote:Pop rivets in the mean time?
I actually got my rivet gun out of my tool box the other day and thought.. mmm.. No I'll wait a bit as I don't want to be drilling holes all over the place, letting in moisture/rust. I'd like it to be water tight and painted/sealed so I don't have to do this work again.
But please keep the thoughts/suggestions coming in :doublethumbs:

Newtomud
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Newtomud » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:16 pm

A quick update on the boot floor/arches/virtual lift..I took a sheet of 2mm sheet steel and a length of 20x20x3mm angle iron and :hack:I wanted to bend the angle iron to act as a support for the arch..
fab 25-10-11 005.JPG
fab 25-10-11 005.JPG (669.12 KiB) Viewed 6373 times
Another piece of angle iron that will help support the arch where it meets the boot foor..The cut outs are for where the underfloor box section and rubber mounts are.I've also used a piece of 2mm sheet steel 34inch x 36 inch for the main area of the boot floor.. I cut half way through the 2mm and used the workmate as a long vice to put a 45 degree angle/bend in it.. The bend/angle is where it goes down into the foot well.. I'm well pleased with the bend as I've never done this sort of thing before and it's dead straight :doublethumbs: No pic of it as it's started to rain and I need to put the tools away.
Last edited by Newtomud on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

ianedwards
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by ianedwards » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:26 pm

Tidy, looking good, the wings are my next job.

Ian

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:32 pm

Nice tidy work! that is going to be one hardcore inner arch! you could've prob got away with some thinner angle for the support :lol:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Newtomud
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Newtomud » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:11 pm

ScottieJ wrote:Nice tidy work! that is going to be one hardcore inner arch! you could've prob got away with some thinner angle for the support :lol:
Scottiej.. One thing I don't need to tell you.. If a jobs worth doing it's worth doing well :thumbup:

Edit.. And this is my first attempt at fabrication.

Edit again.. I'm doing other little jobs as well..One job leads to another and another.
Because I've fitted standard SJ brake calipers on the rear I've got no hand brake and because my SJ couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding because of the big wheels I've sent my T-boxes off to Rockwatt meaning I will have excellent gearing and a transfer brake.. That solves that problem then I realise that fitting a transfer brake means converting from a twin brake cable to a single cable (which I've got)then the hand brake lever doesn't fit so I'm modifying that..I'll also have to modify the underside where the single cable will fit instead of the twin cable.One of the passenger seat mounts has a crack around the bolt hole so I've made a plate up to weld on.I've got some damn great big speakers to put in the back..I'm thinking of mounting them up near the roof somehow.I know there's more jobs :er: Like I say I'm new to all this but having a good time doing it :doublethumbs:

Edit again.. I might have to talk to Rockwatt about one of those Rockthingys erm Bash plate for the Rock lobster as well. And David at Llama 4x4 for some descent T-box mounts.

Newtomud
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Newtomud » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:07 pm

Day off today so thought I might tackle one of the jobs above ^
Inside the rear door was a thick layer of good solid steel with two other layers of mud and rust.. I ground out the two rusting layers leaving me with this.
more stuff 002.JPG
more stuff 002.JPG (655.36 KiB) Viewed 6337 times
This left me with a gap where the rust/mud was.I took a 2mm sheet of steel,ground a groove in it and used my workmate to put a fold in it.Came out really straight :doublethumbs:The red line will disappear into the gap.Started to bend the 2mm steel for the wheel arch.2mm sheet steel is surprisingly strong and difficult to bend in a workmate.I put a groove in the underside of the arch with the grinder and folded it to get the flat bit(rear left of the boot floor)..The bent arch will reach all the way to the box section sill..And with the half moon shape piece and the bent angle iron done earlier it should be quite strong?
Last edited by Newtomud on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.