lift shackles

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
timmo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

lift shackles

Post by timmo » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:57 pm

After an awesome weekend I realise I need to get some lift! I know this has probably been asked before but as I only want a small lift is the best way just to bolt on 2 inch lift shackles? I assume no other mods are needed. I am running standard springs and I only use sj for offroading only.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: lift shackles

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:09 pm

Just shackles doesn't really work as a lift, in fact with standard springs there will do more harm than good reducing your approach angle and killing your springs faster.

Your best option is to fit the rear springs up front and find some Bedford rascal springs for the rear some people recommend add-a-leafs as a cheap lift but they give you a harsh ride IMO I Think the suspension is one thing you have to spend a little extra on to get the best results, but its worth it in the long run :doublethumbs:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

timmo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by timmo » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:32 pm

Will rear springs on the front need any mods to fit? Mine is a van so i assume the springs i have are beefed up a bit to cope with extra loads. Will rascal springs bolt straight on also?

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:47 am

I've got add-a-leafs on mine and I'll agree with Scott, they do give quite a harsh ride...

until you batter them enough so that they become a bit more flexible ;)
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

Edweird
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Edweird » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:55 am

Rear springs on the van version are the same as far as I know. My truck's manual says I can load the best part of half a ton in the back of mine, which would be hard to fit in that space.
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

chrisj410
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by chrisj410 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:19 pm

I disagree with the comments regarding add a leafs I've done mine and I'm running rough country shocks from llama 4x4, if you take time and prep your leaves the ride will be fine, mine improved my ride dramatically and isn't harsh at all

timmo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by timmo » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:15 pm

wheres the best place to get add a leafs? How much lift will they achieve?

chrisj410
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by chrisj410 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:30 pm

Llama 4x4 and between 2 and 3 inches of lift mate

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:18 pm

I think you are one of the few who have fitted them and not found that they are stiff then :lol: add-a-leafs are designed to increase the spring rate of the packs that you fit them too and increase load carrying capacity so by that very nature they are going to be stiffer than stock springs. I'm wondering if its more the shocks that made the difference with yours as the last sj I went in with add-a-leafs and rough country shocks was a lot stiffer than my sj with +2" ironman springs and astra shocks.

I have also known people that have bent leafs in their spring packs around the ends of the add-a-leaf springs and had to build new packs because of it.

Yes they are a cheap way to lift your SJ and quite a few people have been happy with the results but they by no means are the best way.

If you get some Bedford rascal/suzuki carry rear springs you can build up custom packs using combinations of the leafs from all your packs to make up a good set of lift springs without needing to make any adapter plates.

There is a write up in the DIY section to give you an idea what's involved if you do choose to use adapter plates however I'm not sure I would do it like wolly does in the write up I would make them bolt on like my YJ conversion.

At the end of the day though, give them a try if you want, you might like them, you might not? :doublethumbs:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

timmo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by timmo » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:38 am

Thats great guys, I think I'll try the bedford rascal route as one of my front springs is knackered any way .