justaddmud's kja build (code named MK5)

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
ianedwards
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Re: justaddmud's kja build (code named MK5)

Post by ianedwards » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:10 pm

Yea the drop sides, the profile of the steel. Would be tidy if you could. Maby a few measurements, height and width or is that pushing my luck, any thing wold be cool. I can show my local manufacturing firm then and try and get some made up. Cheers again

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

justaddmud
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by justaddmud » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:38 pm

Bit of an update, will be more tomorrow

now sits on ironman 2" springs, and shackle reversal

Shocks i bought were way to long though, so need to get some shorter ones

didnt get any pics, as i just got on with it and before i knew it i was packing up

sits about the same height as with SPOA so shows how knackered the springs were :roll:

does drive better, and have now also replaced the horrendous steering arm for a nice straight one

will get some pictures and some measurements tomorrow, as lets face it we all love pictures :hands:

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here

Post by dan_2k_uk » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:45 pm

justaddmud wrote: lets face it we all love pictures :hands:
We certainly do!

Sounds like its going well.

I've gotta do suspension work tomorrow.

Unfortunately its not on the zook. Its the Mrs car and its going down not up!
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

ianedwards
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by ianedwards » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:11 am

Tidy, sounding good.

Cheers Ian

justaddmud
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by justaddmud » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:15 pm

Ok lets get some 'After' pictures I i really am bad at doing these mid job, especially when it is cold, gets dark quickly, and am working outside on the wet ground

One of my main motivations for the change in suspension, was this

not a fan of z links at the best of times, let alone when they have been seemingly welded together with what ever was laying about, luckely, i got a spare standard rod with the zook in a box of spares, so now looks like this

much better

The front suspension is roughly the same height as it was with SPOA no bearing in mind, SPOA should give 5" lift, verses my 2" Shackle reversal and 2" (at best) springs, it just shows you how nackered my springs were.

much better and the over all side picture is just about right

bumper had a little trim to get around the reversal, but otherwise is quite suttle, and wouldn't look that different to the untrained eye

you can also see the issue i have with the shocks, they are a tad on the long side for my rather basic setup, i wold need to extend the top mount through the top of the arch, and mount the shock as far south as possible to get it to work, the rears are just as bad, even with all the room under the back, you would still have to invert and mount as high as possible

Other old mods, are the seats, came with some old cortina/granada jobbies, far to big, couldnt go back far enough, resulting in a very crampt driving posistion, and a painful ankle using the clutch, they went and are now replaced with these

Suzuki Ignus (keeping it in the family) comfy, small good grip, and look the part fitted

dashboard, couple of switches and an FIA approved cut off switch (another reason i want the sammy dash)

hidden 12v sockets in ashtray

slightly hidden CB (with mic removed)

continueing on in the interior, the nav/mp3/car phone, i was using this on speaker as my stereo until i put the LG unit in underneath

on the outside, i have mounted some work/reversing lights on the back of the cab, LED not amazingly bright, but for lighting up an area in picth black, work really well, and can leave on all night and not kill your battery

Rear foglight was the first breakage on this truck, and i always used to have them get full of crap and never work anyway, so now have one mounted on the swing away numberplate mount, and it is a LED sealed unit, so should be fairly water tight too

think that is pretty much it for the pictures at the moment, took it for a drive this morning and is so much better on the road now, and great over bumps, with the shocks sorted, should be a great handeling little truck

Ian, got the pics and measurements for you, and will post on your build later today

turbo-tom

Post by turbo-tom » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:35 pm

everytime i look at your build thread its making more want a dropside sj more and more :lol: , so you definatly putting a sammy dash in here now ?
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

justaddmud
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by justaddmud » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:50 pm

You should get one, they are so cool, and much better to drive on the road with the wheelbase as it is, bit crampt in the cockpit though

I think if i can find a dash, i will have a crack at it, i still have the screen computer and modded centre console bit from MK3, and with a bit more work behind the sceens, could have a larger glovebox, maybe hide a small 8" sub in the dash (not sure how much space i think is back there :screwy: )

ianedwards
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by ianedwards » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:16 pm

I keep looking at my cab thinking, where the hell am I going to put everything when i get it back together lol, cheers for the info, spot on.

Cheers Ian

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:40 pm

Looking good, I bet its going drive so much nicer with the new suspension set up :rockin:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:23 pm

Those seats look well tidy.

Guess theres no room for bucket seats in a kja?

Get that sammy dash in there!
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.