smoking sj

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here

Re: smoking sj

Post by dan_2k_uk » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:27 am

Although I'm not familiar with the 410 engine this kit looks like its got the valve stem seals and all the other seals/gaskets in it.

Click Here for Ebay Listing

Do a compression test to confirm the piston rings are ok and if they are I would change the valve stem seals and most of the other bits in that kit while you are at it.

Did it on a 1.3 the other week and it wasn't a bad job at all.

Dan
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

ROBBIE

Post by ROBBIE » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:48 am

hello :welcome: to the forum in the summer my 1.6 started to smoke badly i did the valve stems (came in a kit with all the top end gaskets) only took a couple of hours :D it turned out to be the rings and i couldnt get them anywhere in the end i had to change the engine. probably not what want you want to hear sorry
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:06 am

ROBBIE wrote:hello :welcome: to the forum in the summer my 1.6 started to smoke badly i did the valve stems (came in a kit with all the top end gaskets) only took a couple of hours :D it turned out to be the rings and i couldnt get them anywhere in the end i had to change the engine. probably not what want you want to hear sorry
luckilyfor 410 owners the 410 shares the same engine as Bedford rascals and super carry's

Quick search for f10a piston rings on eBay came up with these.

Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

slowjoe
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by slowjoe » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:00 pm

cheers guy very helpfull.... iv been ringing round today for a price on an engine to just slam in but not that cheap lol. 1 guy who i spoke with reckons he,s dealt with sj,s for 10 years and first things first if its smoking is to pour coca cola down the bores and leave it for a day he says most of the time this clears the shite and stops it????? any 1 ever tried this before? :S

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:27 pm

Er wtf? :er: I've not heard that one before?

How much was he asking for an engine? They aren't hard to find so shouldn't be that expensive.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

slowjoe
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by slowjoe » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:33 pm

he was wanting 300 but said the first thing he would try before buying 1 was the coke?? :S

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:38 pm

:shock: :shock: 300 for a F10a :shock: :shock: tell him to F off unless its had a complete rebuild.

70 maybe, that's what I sold a good runner for a while back and I built it up with a fresh headgasket on the day.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

slowjoe
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by slowjoe » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:42 pm

i thought that my self y no but had a little look on google about this coke and it has been known to be used in engine,s?? obviously you have seen wot it does to a 2p peice over night. he says to leave it in the bores overnight then turn it over the next day with no plugs in to clear it out then whack em back in and give her a go :S not sure lol seems very random but wots the worst tht can happen the old girls pooly as it is lol

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:52 pm

Yeah I was thinking that, might be worth trying it, don't pay that for an engine though whatever you do, it would cost you that to completely rebuild one.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

slowjoe
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by slowjoe » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:57 pm

might give it a go to moz and let you no he didnt seem pushy to sell it me and semt very helpfull as in told me to ring him if i was stuck with any thing else. shame i just cant find an engine for 70quid to put streyt in. i do have a spare engine that smokes 2 and a five speed box might be worth selling the box and buying an engine?