suzuki sj samurai 1994 security

Got an electrical gremlin? Ask the question here.
jgp1986
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

suzuki sj samurai 1994 security

Post by jgp1986 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:28 pm

Hi people

Didnt know if this is right place to put this but spose its partly to do with electrics

Im after info for the best type of security for my sj as i have to leave it on the street and really dont fancy finding it missing in the morning :(

any info would be great,
eitha electrical or manual security items and methods the more the better,
thanks in advance

slowjoe
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: suzuki sj samurai 1994 security

Post by slowjoe » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:32 pm

if they want it they will take it... sum nob jockey tried hot wiring mine with no engine in!!! didnt get far but knackered all my ignition up... id suggest a disc lock for the steering wheel 1 look at them n they no there not getting it away without hard work

Edweird
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Edweird » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:33 pm

How secure do you want it? You could fit a battery kill switch somewhere, or a hidden switch on the low tension, chain it to a lamp-post or take the wheels off.

Edweird

Post by Edweird » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:34 pm

slowjoe wrote:if they want it they will take it... sum nob jockey tried hot wiring mine with no engine in!!! didnt get far but knackered all my ignition up... id suggest a disc lock for the steering wheel 1 look at them n they no there not getting it away without hard work
Now there's a good immobilizer! Bit inconvenient to take the engine out every night though.

turbo-tom
I spend far too much time on here

Post by turbo-tom » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:35 pm

leave it on axle stands :lol:

leave it in gear and takethe gear shirt out only 7 bolts ;)

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:49 pm

turbo-tom wrote:leave it on axle stands :lol:

leave it in gear and takethe gear shirt out only 7 bolts ;)
Just 3 bolts to pull the lever. Could probably make a quick release for that!

Remove rotor arm, fit a really loud exhaust, padlock through handbrake lever mech, chain the back wheels together,

Or the old classic thatcham approved alarm/immobiliser

Dan

turbo-tom

Post by turbo-tom » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:51 pm

well my sj must have some luxary then as i have four bolts in my rubber gaiter :lol:

Highlander
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Highlander » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:19 am

Yeah its a worry...

But even with some sort of electrical immobiliser rigged up someone with a handful of wire could have it running in seconds.

To be honest they are never going to be secure.

disabling the engine/steering wheel lock will stop the opportunist joyriders just looking for a quick blast around in it.

As will blocking it in with another car or two, (I do this on my own drive) but thats not always possible.

A wheel clamp might be an idea? they can be cut off but it is a visual deterrent to the opportunist.

Someone really wanting it will take it, its not a huge job to lift/winch/pull a Suzuki onto a trailer or dolly and can be done very quietly at night.

Even towing one away with a towing bar can be done quickly

Someone local to me had an old Daihatsu Sportrack stolen recently through the night, they just shoved it down the street before starting it up.

Motion/tilt sensors rigged to an alarm might be good?

I actually have a small cheap CCTV system rigged up covering my drive, the software includes an option to sound an alarm if anything moves on the picture but I get woken up by cats and the milkman on a Tuesday :)

If you're in a quiet area and can get parked outside your house it may be a good option..

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:10 pm

If I'm leaving mine anywhere dodgy I tend to remove the primary HT lead (coil to dizzy) and also take out the rotor arm...

On standard starter motors you can also just pull off the small wire and the start wont turn...

At least that way they will have to bring a rotor arm and HT lead with them, then either bump start it or find the tiny wire!
I like hydraulic brake line locks. I reckon a hidden one under the seat would be good.
If you locked all your brakes on they'd have difficulty moving it without picking it up!!!

I think the best thing to do is loads of little things combined... then decide how many of them you are going to do depending on the area ;)

Another one would be to get like a safety cut off pin release thing... Like they have on a jet ski.
Mount it in either the front or rear bumpers, then tie the release pin to something with fishing line
(So its harder to see)

So they hot wire it, drive away from where you're parked, the line tightens and pulls the pin out, cutting the power.
Or.... instead of cutting the power, make the release pin activate flashing blue lights and a siren!
a) it would scare the bejeezus out of them and
b) They would get pulled in seconds!

You could probably dismantle a cheap rape alarm and use that
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

jgp1986
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by jgp1986 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:41 pm

cheers guys theres some good ideas there ill be lookin at using some of them and maybe others if they get metioned i like the idea of brake lock hidden some where, and a kill switch, ive already a hidden switch for the starter motor, i know if someone really wants it they will give it a good go at taking it but im gonna make sure they have there work cut out,