Waterproofing

Got an electrical gremlin? Ask the question here.
tonsky
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Waterproofing

Post by tonsky » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:27 pm

Hi all

sorry im not sure if this is in the right section but im off to play in the mud with Bruce now i have some mud tyres but last time i went through some puddles my SJ413 was not very happy with me.

Its standard, no snorkel and they were not deep but i did splash the water up onto the bonnet so im thinknig some urgent waterproofing may be needed, can anyone give me there tips or what to do?

Thanks

Toni

Highlander
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Re: Waterproofing

Post by Highlander » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:19 pm

Hi Toni,

All depends on the depth you are wading, I've had the water up to the ignition key with no snorkel before :)

Firstly I'd go for axle breathers, in fact it sounds like the depth of puddles you're going through this may be all you'll really need.

if the water goes into the diff via the breather it will eventually do damage to your diffs etc.. a length of garden hose secured to the axle breather with a jubilee clip will do fine as long as the other end is up above the water level :)

Water kills starter motors, i've found if i go through deep water then leave the car sitting for a few weeks the starter will be goosed next time I use the car... if you do go that deep take it off and clean it when you get home.

If you go deep enough that your going to need a snorkel then the car is going to be filling up with water inside anyway, so might be an idea to remove carpets etc, I remove the rubber bung holes so the water can get back out :)

I've never bothered with waterproofing electrics/distributer etc and never had any probs

This is a video of my SPOA Samurai on 31" tyres but it has no snorkel etc although the air intake is now up beside the brake fluid reservoir, so if the water comes over the bonnet i'm stuffed :)

The water comes up to the bottom of the seats inside at this bit of the river.

It has axle breathers and no carpet rest is standard as far as waterproofing goes

http://s765.photobucket.com/albums/xx30 ... one019.mp4

turbo-tom
I spend far too much time on here

Post by turbo-tom » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:35 pm

EDITED;

I havent got that much waterproofing only snorkel, and axle breathers and axles are easy to do on them I have had my truck in water and bog just below the exhaust(side exit) and it was fine :D
Last edited by turbo-tom on Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

Christoff
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Christoff » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:46 pm

WD40 is the stuff. Water Disperser. key is in the name ;)

regarding the axle breathers, do you have to remove the little black nipple? my rear seems to have siezed up so i doubt much breathing is been done. The front one is free so does it just twist off?

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:24 pm

Pull/prise (spelling?) off - I used a screwdriver & molegrips. Once off they won't be going back on because the bottom of the cap is crimped in position. There's one on your tbox too but you need a 90 degree adaptor (and a tap) to fit the hose otherwise it fouls on your body, I put a little oil filter Breather on the end of my breathers in the engine bay

Christoff
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Christoff » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:08 pm

A tap?

turbo-tom

Post by turbo-tom » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:17 pm

Christoff wrote:A tap?

;)

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:30 pm

Yeah for the t box breather, first you remove the cap then the spring and 'flap' (like a solid washer) then your left with a short stub that's too short to clamp a hose to. This stub is only pressed into the casing and can be removed by twisting (I used stillsons) once its loose you can pull it out. Your then left with a hole in your t box, you run a tap down this hole to create a thread - 3/8bsp if I remember correctly. Then screw in a 90degree adaptor using ptfe tape. And your left with a suitable point to mount your breather hose to.

Christoff
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Christoff » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:20 pm

Oh yeah iv never seen it like. What about swarf going into the box?

turbo-tom

Post by turbo-tom » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:25 pm

most people take out the tranny box and support it upsidedown so when you cut the thread the swarf falls onto the floor , saying that tho i havent done it my self