SPOA, rear disk conversion and Lockright

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
4x4edd
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: SPOA, rear disk conversion and Lockright

Post by 4x4edd » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:45 pm

Darrell wrote:Looking good :thumbup: .
What did you use as a bearing retainer, I see you cut the square out, but then cut it in half :er:
The brake mount plate is the bearing retainer so I had no need got the one on the old drums, I'll try get a pick of them when I get a chance. I cut them in half because that seemed like the only way to get them off without removing the bearing.

Just waiting for the tool to make up my brake lines and it will be back on the truck ready for the 31's thursday :doublethumbs:

Then see if I can get down Ty Rhiw on the 25th on November :cowboy::

4x4edd
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by 4x4edd » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:46 pm

Quick update

took the day off today because I was told my wheel and tyres would be delivered today.
Thought, great time to get on with the truck. not a good day, van broke, car broke and wheels didn't turn up.

I won't bored you with any more of that.

But the axle is back in place
IMG_1681.JPG
IMG_1681.JPG (2.36 MiB) Viewed 7665 times
Thought great, time to test it.
went for a 10 mile drive and all good, even had a little bit of sideways action on a roundabout, but second from last corner before home, there was a huge bang and the truck was vibrating all the way home, jacked it up once home and the passenger side rear seems to have a lot of movement in it now. And the brakes are very spongy.

Given up for the day as things have not gone well :pissed: :pissed:

Going to get drunk and forget about it till Monday :doublethumbs:

Darrell
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Darrell » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:55 pm

"Going to get drunk and forget about it till Monday :doublethumbs:"

That's a long time to be drunk :lol:

Hope the damage is not too serious :thumbdown: .
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

4x4edd
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by 4x4edd » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:07 pm

Darrell wrote:"Going to get drunk and forget about it till Monday :doublethumbs:"

That's a long time to be drunk :lol:

Hope the damage is not too serious :thumbdown: .
Well got a wedding Saturday so best start early ha.

Yea really dread opening the axle again, gutted ain't the word :evil:

Thinking maybe I should of stayed away from the right lockers but will find out monday when I strip it. :er:

4x4edd
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by 4x4edd » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:07 am

Going to annoy you all again now....

Well heres the truck now, need to clean that blue off tho..
IMG_1701.JPG
IMG_1701.JPG (1.78 MiB) Viewed 6815 times
been for another test run, and the locker seems to be coming in at the wrong time or releasing at different time, I have put this down to the one brake calliper sticking all the time. Thought the new lines would of helped this.
Whats the best thing to do with sticking callipers? send them away for referb, do it yourself or buy new? new seem to be way too expensive.

steve greenc3
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by steve greenc3 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:57 pm

When i fitted my rear disc and lockrite converted rear axle to my sj, i did about 30 miles then frightening noises started from the rear. Jacked truck up to find it had shaken nearside billet type wheel spacer loose, so swapped to hollow type spacer with screw on extension studs and its been good since. Lockright does give occasional crack if on tight junction but not that frightening!.

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:36 pm

I've had mine seize up a few times over the many years I've had it. I have always just stripped it down and cleaned everything up. The piston is the main part that seems to get grubby and this has always cleaned up nice with wd40 and fine wire wool. The only other bit that may have some rust on and require a little emery paper is the area between the main oil seal and the dust seal/boot.
6.jpg
6.jpg (38.44 KiB) Viewed 6780 times
This depends on how much water has managed to get behind the dust seal/boot. Other than that go for reconditioned units, shop around as the prices vary quite a lot.
http://suzukiclubuk.co.uk/diy/18-wheels ... er-rebuild
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:00 am

4x4edd wrote:
been for another test run, and the locker seems to be coming in at the wrong time or releasing at different time.
I've never driven on road with a lock rite but from what I've heard from a lot of people that sounds about right. Most people describe them as quite unpredictable. Just remember they aren't Actually a locker but more of an un-locker. When power/torque is being applied they lock, only when there is no torque being applied does it allow the diff to ratchet, hence why it could feel like its all a bit random.
I would imagine a sticking calliper could also effect the operation though.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

4x4edd
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by 4x4edd » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:32 pm

Top one Darrell. cheers for that.
Got the piston out and as you said, there was some rust on the areas you said. but not too bad. So cleaned up and replaced. works perfect now, made such a difference.

So actually took it off road a little, and straight away (though driver error and going too slow and wrong angle) slip sideways into a ditch and toppled onto its side.

Had to be lifted out by a tractor with me hanging off the side to stop it tipping over. worst thing is I didn't get any pics, as my dad was not happy at all and thought I wouldn't wind him up by taking pics ha.

But on a plus side, the wheels and rightlocker has made a huge difference, getting up hills in two wheel drive where I used to have to put into 4x4.

Fingers closed theres no more problems.