zuk sj build from scratch.....09

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
peewee1976
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: zuk sj build from scratch.....09

Post by peewee1976 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:03 pm

this next lot of photos is where we will continue to carry on trying to fix the pump and pulleys to the engine and maybe even try to make a start on the front roll cage????
Attachments
as you can see the pump is a little to big to fit between the engine and the chassis so we are now going to move the pump up the side of the engine a little and go from there?
as you can see the pump is a little to big to fit between the engine and the chassis so we are now going to move the pump up the side of the engine a little and go from there?
18-2-09 023.JPG (64.44 KiB) Viewed 8368 times
this photo shows that if you use the orignal sj steering colume then its about 1" to long to fit the box,so we cut about 2" of the end of the box shaft and then recut the flat edge to then push the coupling back a little further
this photo shows that if you use the orignal sj steering colume then its about 1" to long to fit the box,so we cut about 2" of the end of the box shaft and then recut the flat edge to then push the coupling back a little further
18-2-09 012.JPG (66.16 KiB) Viewed 8368 times

carnut
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by carnut » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:03 pm

what area u from?..

peewee1976
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by peewee1976 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:06 pm

iam from chard in somerset mate....

well iam back again and here are some more photos of todays work....?
Attachments
this is the crank pully,we wanted to put a twin pully on for the pump but found that we could not find a pully for the alternator or water pump,so we kept the old v-groove one and welded the twin one on top.
this is the crank pully,we wanted to put a twin pully on for the pump but found that we could not find a pully for the alternator or water pump,so we kept the old v-groove one and welded the twin one on top.
jeep photos 21.2.09 001 redo.jpg (61.49 KiB) Viewed 8348 times
we also found that the pump would not fit on the side of the engine in the right place,so we made a new bracket and moved the pump up about 5" and out to the front end anout 2" to line up snug with the bottom pully
we also found that the pump would not fit on the side of the engine in the right place,so we made a new bracket and moved the pump up about 5" and out to the front end anout 2" to line up snug with the bottom pully
jeep photos 21.2.09 006 redo.jpg (90.39 KiB) Viewed 8346 times
this shows the pump all bolted up in to its new place and ready to take its new belt ready for work.
this shows the pump all bolted up in to its new place and ready to take its new belt ready for work.
jeep photos 21.2.09 004 redo.jpg (107.57 KiB) Viewed 8347 times

peewee1976
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by peewee1976 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:12 pm

here are some more photos of the start of making the new front end....
Attachments
this is the front end nearly all done,all thats left is the center part and bonnet tops.and inner wings
this is the front end nearly all done,all thats left is the center part and bonnet tops.and inner wings
jeep photos 21.2.09 014 redo.jpg (62.33 KiB) Viewed 8341 times
on this photo you can see we cut down the corners so not to dig in to trees and things with a sharp egde,so cutting the corners would allow us to slide of them.
on this photo you can see we cut down the corners so not to dig in to trees and things with a sharp egde,so cutting the corners would allow us to slide of them.
jeep photos 21.2.09 013 redo.jpg (62.67 KiB) Viewed 8340 times
front view of the corner and side
front view of the corner and side
jeep photos 21.2.09 012 redo.jpg (75.31 KiB) Viewed 8342 times

peewee1976
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by peewee1976 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:16 pm

more photos again ..lol
Attachments
this is a side view of the front cage as we started,we wanted to make something that would stand out from the crowd and also that if we hit anything it would be flattened and not us???
this is a side view of the front cage as we started,we wanted to make something that would stand out from the crowd and also that if we hit anything it would be flattened and not us???
jeep photos 21.2.09 011 redo.jpg (85.62 KiB) Viewed 8336 times
well this is where it all started,lenths of box and a hole lot of mess????....now for the hard work and lots of sums..???
well this is where it all started,lenths of box and a hole lot of mess????....now for the hard work and lots of sums..???
jeep photos 21.2.09 007 redo.jpg (79.4 KiB) Viewed 8337 times

peewee1976
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by peewee1976 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:48 pm

well its been a long couple of days and now my eyes hurt,and so does my back,but still we press on to get the zuk finished..here are a few more photos for you guys and see what you think....
Attachments
the front end ,and we decided to cut the bonnet down as well to make it a little better looking
the front end ,and we decided to cut the bonnet down as well to make it a little better looking
british indoor 4x4 show 22.2.09 0457.jpg (89.9 KiB) Viewed 8313 times
this is the front again but we have now added a new mild steel front grill and winch tray half put in ready to take the chassis brackets and bumper
this is the front again but we have now added a new mild steel front grill and winch tray half put in ready to take the chassis brackets and bumper
british indoor 4x4 show 22.2.09 0517.jpg (86.03 KiB) Viewed 8315 times
and this is the front part of the cage taken off ready for us to weld up all the joints and clean it up ready for paint(undercoat tho only)
and this is the front part of the cage taken off ready for us to weld up all the joints and clean it up ready for paint(undercoat tho only)
british indoor 4x4 show 22.2.09 0527.jpg (74.75 KiB) Viewed 8314 times

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:35 pm

I don't want to offend you mate just offer a bit of constructive criticism, Its fine building a front and rear clip out of box section but I'm a bit concerned about the fact that you are making the main frame of the roll cage out of box section as it is not going to survive a roll over, in fact it is more likely to do some serious damage to yourself or the vehicle because the corners will break at the welds with the forces that can be applied to a cage in a rollover. i've seen tube rollcages bend in a rollover before and safety is one thing that you can't cut corners on.

If you have access to a pipe bender i would suggest that you get hold of some 38-42mm tube, either cds or blueband (even scallfold tube will be stronger than box section) with a minimum wall thickness of 3.2mm and build the main cage out of that! it will be a lot stronger and safer.

Apart from that the build is looking pretty good matey, keep it up!

Scottie J
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Fri May 22, 2009 6:47 pm

scottiej410 wrote:I don't want to offend you mate just offer a bit of constructive criticism, Its fine building a front and rear clip out of box section but I'm a bit concerned about the fact that you are making the main frame of the roll cage out of box section as it is not going to survive a roll over, in fact it is more likely to do some serious damage to yourself or the vehicle because the corners will break at the welds with the forces that can be applied to a cage in a rollover. i've seen tube rollcages bend in a rollover before and safety is one thing that you can't cut corners on.

If you have access to a pipe bender i would suggest that you get hold of some 38-42mm tube, either cds or blueband (even scallfold tube will be stronger than box section) with a minimum wall thickness of 3.2mm and build the main cage out of that! it will be a lot stronger and safer.

Apart from that the build is looking pretty good matey, keep it up!

Scottie J
I completely agree. Dont cut corners on such a good build, especially when yours and others safety and possibly your life is concerned.

Also a bit more constructive criticism, try and get that winch tray as far back as you can, it will only make your front approach angle smaller and dig in everywhere you go... :cry:

Keep up the good work! XD

carnut
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by carnut » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:30 pm

how you getting on with the build fella..
andy