Suzuki SJ413 build, Scotland.

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
gsommo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: Suzuki SJ413 build, Scotland.

Post by gsommo » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:01 am

Well i crawled underneath the car and tried to rattle with my hands as hard as I could and it seemed ok. As i said I got my mate to reverse and go forward about 10 times while i was pretty much underneath the car so I could try to identify what and where the noise was coming from. Where the prop meets the rear diff, after reversing then moving forward it makes a slight upward movement (very slight) a small clunk then it sounds fine. I also tried to turn the prop with my hands and it seemd that when I did this the prop sort of twisted out of the diff a few mm. Is this normal play or should there be no lateral play in this connection at all and only turing movement.

I hope that you understand what I am describing, any thoughts.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:22 pm

sometimes its hard to tell with the prop in place, whip it off and have a decent inspection that there is next to no play and it all moves freely, also check the diff pinion beraing for play while the prop is off.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

gsommo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by gsommo » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:08 pm

Is it a tough/messy job taking it all apart or is it ok. I mean once it is going it drives totally fine, but I guess I should make sure that all is well. The car feels a little dodgy when driving, but I guess that is to be expected from a 20 year old. Also what is the diff pinion bearing? If any of these parts are knackered, is it expensive to fix?

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:29 pm

no its not messy, 8 bolts (4 at each end) and the prop is off ready for you to check the UJs then wobble the flange that the prop bolts to on the rear diff, that is where the pinion bearing is, if there is a small amount of play then it is usually nothing to worry about!
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

gsommo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by gsommo » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:54 pm

Hi again, another question hahaha. sorry. Engine bay again, There is a noise coming from what I think is an electric fuel pump (I think that is what it is anyway), it is pretty loud and clanky, I presume that it still works, but does anyone know why it is making that noise and is it suposed and if not how to fix it.

See picture below, it is the black cylinder thing that is attached to the back of the engine bay at the top with 2 pipes coming out of either end.
Attachments
P1110182.jpg
P1110182.jpg (69 KiB) Viewed 5185 times

gsommo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by gsommo » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:02 pm

Oh also this is where the noise is coming from (the wet on it is not leaking from the joint btw).
Attachments
IMG_0706.jpg
IMG_0706.jpg (60.51 KiB) Viewed 5176 times